Party Animal WIP, Done

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    bord
      @bord
      MembervipContributorModerator

I don’t have time to do it for the next few weeks but I have been thinking about doing a short tutorial on making and shaping plastics from scratch in Blender. There is a pretty simple way to do it that is only fractionally more difficult than making a wall in VP, plus you get to skip all the exporting/importing.

In the meantime keep up the good work, Tom. UV mapping is something everyone struggles with to some degree because it doesn’t happen in a way that makes sense when you’re used to working in 3D space. The fact that you’re in there battling it means you’re way ahead of most folks and in the end you’ll have a really cool new skill.

Tom
      Participant
        @armyaviation
        MemberContributor

Trust me I am having fun learning, well most of the time.  I am happy with the way the table is looking so far.  Would love to see another blender tutorial from you Bord

Mlager8
        Participant
          @mlager8

Uv unwrapping is sometimes called pelting because your taking the “skin” of a 3d object, cutting seams, and laying out the skin flat, Just like an animal pelt. It’s for sure an abstract thing to conceptualize.

When I do the jukebox I’ll show you how I unwrap it. Even though I’m using Maya the concept is the same, maybe just different buttons

cyberpez
          Participant
            @cyberpez

What does your apron image look like you are trying to use as a texture?  your UV map looks like this currently…..  Your apron mesh is fairly simple…  I would go into the UV editor…  Load in your image you want to use as a texture…  Then get a nice top down view of your mesh (7 on number pad)  then click U on your keyboard..  choose project from view..  Then you can scale the x and y to fit your texture.  (A to select all….  S-X to scale X…  S-Y to scale Y…  and G to grab and move it around)  once done re-export your mesh.  I hope that sorta makes sense..

Tom
            Participant
              @armyaviation
              MemberContributor

This is good stuff.  I will try it out thanks

Tom
              Participant
                @armyaviation
                MemberContributor

ok, throwing this out there for some of you more experienced guys to critique.  I just got done making primitives out of the wood rails on either side and shooter lane.  I want someone else to look at these items to see if they look good.  Especially on the black side rails, made a prim and applied a wood grain to them in the hopes they look better on a 4k tv than just a wall with plastic black.  If it looks better than I will keep going.  The lights need a lot of work still, especially the inserts and flashers.  still need to finish the plastics and get a decent back wall image.  Don’t be shy, I want to improve, lay it on me.

Also the left kicker hole is giving me fits.  did all three the same and the ball falls through the left one on the main PF

LTA
                Participant
                  @luvthatapex

So far it look good and plays pretty good. the ball gets stuck to the far right of sw40 in that pocket so you need something there (maybe another post).

I had no problem with left kicker on the playfield, no balls going through. I am running the latest vp10.6 beta though.

I see nothing to complain about so far. Keep going!

Tom
                  Participant
                    @armyaviation
                    MemberContributor

There is a ramp that goes there.

bord
                      @bord

Looking really good, Tom. Hard to say if the woodrail texture is prominent enough until the GI lighting is finished, but your mesh work looks good. Kicker holes looked/worked nicely, too.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      Tom
                      Tom
                      Participant
                        @armyaviation
                        MemberContributor

I am in The process of using Fuzzel’s realistic light tutorial right now.  Honestly have no clue how this is gonna turn out, I am just following directions now.  I may be wasting my time but sure

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

Btw @Bord, I think I got those bumper caps from one of your tables.  I need to get the whole routine to make them appear to light up

Tom
                          Participant
                            @armyaviation
                            MemberContributor

@Bord, does this look right or does it look like the lights are floating above the PF

img

Tom
                            Participant
                              @armyaviation
                              MemberContributor

I fixed my uv problem.  My uv maps were set to 1024×1024.  I changed it in blender to 2048×4096 and the pf apron image is correct.

well that worked for a few but not all..

bord
                                @bord

Your GI lights should be down just a hair below the rubber bands. Picture that the black dot in the center is your lamp.

For accurate placement you should switch to orthographic view. Right now you’ve got perspective view on and you may have trouble lining things up perfectly since there is a fair amount of camera distortion depending on your POV. I believe num pad 5 is the shortcut.

Tom
                                Participant
                                  @armyaviation
                                  MemberContributor

Man that was difficult.  I was chasing those views around trying to get it right but I think I did.  Is there no way to assign a value for the light height and just move the x and y?  This 3d shit is 3x more complicated!!!

bord
                                    @bord

Sure. Set one lamp up at the height you want. Then hit numpad 7 (top view). With the lamp selected hit G (move) and then shift Z (not along Z) and then you can just use your mouse to place the lamp. It will only move along x and y. Once it is placed hit Shift+D (duplicate lamp), G, shift Z and move the next one into place. Repeat repeat repeat…

Tom
                                    Participant
                                      @armyaviation
                                      MemberContributor

well shit, guess there was an easier way.

stupid question, this is gonna give me GI lights correct, so delete the others??  Is this similar to how you make the shadows

bord
                                        @bord

Yeah, but test as you go. Go into render view to see your lamp’s effect on the PF. Get the size, intensity, color of one lamp done first as I don’t remember there being a universal control for multiple lamps unless you alt+D (instance) all of them instead of duplicate all of them.

Once everything is done you can set up an overhead camera and change the playfield to a shadow catcher, then apply that render to a flasher in VP. It is a nice effect.

Tom
                                        Participant
                                          @armyaviation
                                          MemberContributor

does this look right?

pa light texture

bord
                                            @bord

Very close. Looks like you’re bleeding a bit off the edges of your render. If anything you want to scale it in to include all edges and then crop to pixel edges in photoshop later. That way it maps properly onto your playfield. You also have to hide any moving element from render view, so turn off the flippers, drops as those shadows will look strange once you start flipping.

Change your render object to a shadow catcher and then in your render settings change film to transparent. That will make overlaying it in VP much easier.

Example here.

Looks like you have a fairly bright overhead light or environment texture. To get the full GI effect you want to cheat your overhead light or environment light way down. That will give you a bit more shadow from the GI lighting.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 136 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?