PinUP System (Player and Popper Front-End) Install

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    NailBuster
      @nailbuster
      ModeratorMember

@elvinu see the ‘puppack not closing’ section near bottom:  http://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=puppack_troubleshoot

elvinu
      Participant
        @elvinu

@elvinu
        see the ‘puppack not closing’ section near bottom:  http://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=puppack_troubleshoot

Thank you for the quick reply!  I went thru the items for ‘puppack not closing’ and implemented those that I didn’t already have set.  I tested the D&D puppack table again and found out that I made a big mistake in what I reported earlier.

When I first went to my taskmanager after launching PinupPopper.  My taskmanager listed only (4) items for PinUpDisplay (32 bit) (4):

POPOVERLAY2

POPOVERLAY3

POPSCREEN2

POPSCREEN3

And my screen looked like this, note the circled red section with nothing displayed:

I then would load the D&D table, exit back to Popper, and then look at my taskmanager again.

My taskmanager would now show (5).  That extra item was

POPSCREEN1

I now know that POPSCREEN1 wasn’t a leftover item from D&D.  Rather it was the item shown in the circled red area now filled in with the “Visual Pinball” logo (see image below):

Just to be sure, I retested the D&D table after making sure POPSCREEN1 was already displaying “Visual Pinball” and sure enough, the D&D table ran fine the first time.

It still has problems displaying the videos the second time it’s launched (just shows black boxes) via PinUp Popper.  But now I know, it doesn’t have anything to do with the PinUpDisplay (32 bit) showing 4 or 5.

In other words, these 4 or 5 items are all used by PinUp Popper.  Sorry to waste your time.

I’m just going to have to see if there’s some other reason why this particular game can’t run twice in a row via Popper but can run twice in a row via the VPX editor.

Just so you can see what I’m experiencing, here’s how it correctly looks the first time:

first

And here’s how it looks when you try to run it a second time.  Note that if you try to run this D&D game after any other Pup pack table in Popper, the same problem occurs: Black boxes in place of the Topper and BackGlass videos as seen below:

second

Note that if the first game I run in Popper is a non puppack table like Americas Most Haunted, and then I exit that game and I then run D&D . . .

D&D will be ok the first time.  It only shows those black boxes when a puppack table is run before it.

Here again, sorry to bother you guys with this rather than the D&D author.  However, in his/her defense, I suppose they could say that D&D’s videos run OK multiple times from the VPX editor and they might not have tested it at all running from Popper.

I’ll keep hacking away at it to see if I can find other anomalies.  I’m hoping it’s just a missing line from the script that can be added to fix all this.  Maybe some puppack rule that wasn’t followed.

TIA

Baldspice1971
        Participant
          @baldspice1971

Hi all hoping someone can help me out with this as I’m well and truely stuck and it seems like nobody has mentioned the issue I’m getting with Puplayer.

Installed everything via the guide, made sure I was using 7zip so nothing got blocked, updated to 1.71 Freezy, updated to latest B2S.

My issue is this, when I click on the Backglass ActiveX is working and the plugin is activated. As soon as I put anything in the Pup Videos folder and go back to VPX and click on the backglass (running as standalone) and go back into plugins it’s disabled. As soon as I remove the videos and go back in it’s running again !!

Any thoughts as this us the 3rd time I’ve tried to get this going as I gave up after the last 2 times

Thanks

bha19
          Participant
            @bha19

Every time I try to install a pup file Norton flags it thinking it is a potentially unwanted program. I have to override Norton to complete install: PupCloserOBS.exe. I assume this is part of pinup system, am I correct?

LynnInDenver
            Participant
              @lynnindenver

A lot of the antimalware tends to flag bits and pieces of PinUp and not let the files be installed, because the software interacts with other software in ways that look sketchy to security minded folks, and isn’t popular enough to be incorporated in their database of software that’s “legitimate”. You might need to tell Norton to completely ignore the folder, and hope that it actually respects that decision. I actually fired an antivirus program a number of years back because it broke a software interaction in my 3d rendering toolchain and refused to obey my attempts to whitelist that interaction.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
              Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
              Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

HeadcoldCamper
              Participant
                @jhouff

Hey folks! Hope someone can help. I just upgraded my display to 4K and I have a weird issue with Puppacks now. I re ran setup and configured my screens and proper resolutions but my backglass is showing a huge blown up video so I can only see left corner of video.

I did a clean install of Pupplayer but issue persists.

Thanks! :bye:

outhere
                  @outhere
                  MemberContributorvipModerator

Hey folks! Hope someone can help. I just upgraded my display to 4K and I have a weird issue with Puppacks now. I re ran setup and configured my screens and proper resolutions but my backglass is showing a huge blown up video so I can only see left corner of video.
                  I did a clean install of Pupplayer but issue persists.
                  Thanks! :bye:

Lots of Help  — http://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=install_guide

Rebel Oz
                  Participant
                    @rebeloz69

Hey Nailbuster, luv ya work on this dude; very cool! :)

What would make it even COOLER would be having a programmers guide for table authors, with documentation of function calls (possibly with examples)… :)

NailBuster
                      @nailbuster
                      ModeratorMember

Hey Nailbuster, luv ya work on this dude; very cool! :)

What would make it even COOLER would be having a programmers guide for table authors, with documentation of function calls (possibly with examples)… :)

the PinUP wiki has pages/examples for pupdmd and how-to for pup-packs.   Along with the already released tables like Stranger Things, Munsters, and GOTG you should be all set with examples…

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      Wizball
                      Participant
                        @wizball

A finished table with a 10K+ line script is not really an “example”.

TerryRed
                          @terryred
                          MemberContributorModerator

@Rebel Oz

For VPX I recommend adding pup and pup-pack support to a table using what I typed up here in the “Adding PUP-Pack support (PUPEvent) to a Table Script:” section:

https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=pup_capture

After that you need to use only ONE command to trigger anything in a pup-pack. I personally recommend this, as everything can be managed or changed in the pup-pack much easier (without needing to change or update the table script over and over) compared to using direct pup commands in script, and you get to use extra pup-pack features (to the benefit of players). The uses of the pup-pack editor are pretty straightforward for most people’s uses.

If you want to use pupdmd text features, you would then add that framework to the script. The framework has what you need to start with (for pupdmd specific uses) and has examples you can use for simple text splashes, or more advanced uses (which there is docs for that as well).

https://www.nailbuster.com/wikipinup/doku.php?id=pup_dmd

Not the same as FP’s manual and not some Enterprise Powerpoint Presentation, but still heaps better than any other docs (or lack thereof) in all other parts of VP land.

Rebel Oz
                          Participant
                            @rebeloz69

Thanks Nailbuster, you’re quite right, as far as it goes, so please excuse my ignorance here.
                            I’ve trawled the wiki – yes, every single page I could find in the sitemap.
                            It really is an excellent resource for MOST users, but it doesn’t cover the ONE thing I want to do.

I’ve scanned the source code of every table you’ve mentioned, and gleamed quite a bit from various others as well, but the problem I have is not covered by ANY table that I’ve found.

I’ve snooped over the code of Jaws, snuffled around in the script crypt of Creature From The Black Lagoon, even ‘forced’ myself to go across to the dark side and checked out Terry Red’s impressive Star Wars DSA, all to no avail.

In short, I’ve fried my eyeballs for weeks trawling through, not 10’s of thousands of line of code, but HUNDREDS of thousands of lines.

Creating a basic Pup Pack poses paltry problems, yet in the entirety of the wealth of content available, I have not found a SINGLE instance, example, or even HINT of what I’m searching for.

You see, I’m trying to display video content superimposed on the playfield.

I believe I’ve initialised the system correctly, and have set:

Const pDMD=1
                            Const pBackglass=2
                            Const pPlayfield=3

PuPlayer.Init pPlayfield, pGameName

I have no great drama displaying content to the DMD or the backglass, but try as I might, I cannot for the life of me get anything (not a cracker) to display over the playfield screen.

I’ve tried:
                            PuPlayer.setScreenEx pPlayfield,0,0,100,100,0
                            PuPlayer.SetScreenex pPlayfield,0,0,0,0,1
                            PuPlayer.SetScreenex pPlayfield,0,0,100,100,1
                            PuPlayer.playlistplayex pPlayfield,”Playfield”,”ImageInPupPackPlayfieldDirectory.png”,0,1
                            PuPlayer.setbackground pPlayfield, 1 ‘make current video background
                            PuPlayer.playlistadd pPlayfield,”Playfield”, 1 , 0 ‘Pick a video from the PuPPack Playfield sub-directory
                            PuPlayer.playlistplay pPlayfield,”Playfield”
                            PuPlayer.LabelShowPage pPlayfield,0,0,””
                            PuPlayer.LabelSet pPlayfield ,”PreviouslyDefinedLabelHere” ,”TEXT HERE” ,1 ,””

None of which result is a display that persists over the playfield or indeed, in most cases, any display at all.

If you could shed any light on where I’m going wrong here, or indeed, if what I’m trying to achieve is even POSSIBLE, I’d greatly appreciate it. :)

I’ve detected hints in various posts on a number of forums that documentation for the system does exist (and TerryRed has made a few tantalising mentions of various workings of the mystical JSON parser), but for the record, here’s the sum total of documentation I’ve been able to piece together (excluding of course the PupDMD Framework,which I don’t think is germain to this discussion).

‘######################################################################
                            ‘## PinUp Player hints and tips ##

‘======================================================================
                            ‘.SendMSG(<Special (json)>)
                            ‘ Send a structured message to the PUP engine as a JSON string
                            ‘ eg: “{‘mt’:301, ‘SN’: ” & pupid & “, ‘FN’:30, ‘PM’:1 }”)
                            ‘ <Special (json)>:
                            ‘ mt message type (1=animate…always for now)
                            ‘ sn ScreenNumber :- pDMD ( or 1), pBackglass (2), pPlayfield(3), etc.
                            ‘ fn ??? function number ???
                            ‘ pm ??? Play mode ???

‘ .LabelNew
                            ‘ PuPlayer.LabelNew <screen#>, <Labelname>, <fontName>, <size%>, <colour>, <rotation>, <xalign>, <yalign>, <xpos%>, <ypos%>, <PageNum>, <visible>
                            ‘———————————————————————-
                            ‘<screen#> pDMD ( or 1), pBackglass (2), pPlayfield(3), etc.
                            ‘<Labelname> Name for the label. No spaces, but can be anything really. Use this labelname to access the label.
                            ‘<fontName> Windows font name. Must exactly match OS font name. If using custom TTF fonts double check name of font.
                            ‘<size%> Height as a percent of display height. 20=20% of screen height.
                            ‘<colour> Integer value of windows color.
                            ‘<rotation> Degrees in tenths on a degree (900=90 degrees)
                            ‘<xAlign> Horizontal alignment. 0 = left align, 1 = center, 2 = right
                            ‘<yAlign> Vertical alignment. 0 = top, 1 = center, 2 = bottom
                            ‘<xpos>, % of horizontal width. 20 = 20% of screen width. Should be 0, but you can ‘force’ a position if you set this.
                            ‘<ypos> % of vertical height.
                            ‘<PageNum> IMPORTANT! this will assign this label to this ‘page’ or group.
                            ‘<visible> Initial state of label. 1 = show, 0 = off.

‘ .SetScreenex
                            ‘Set PuPlayer pScreenName to Pop-Up On <screen number> , xpos, ypos, width, height, POPUP
                            ‘ PuPlayer.SetScreenex <screen#>,xpos,ypos,width,height,Pop-Up
                            ‘<screen#> pDMD ( or 1), pBackglass (2), pPlayfield(3), etc.
                            ‘<xpos>, % of horizontal width. 20 = 20% of screen width. Should be 0, but you can ‘force’ a position if you set this.
                            ‘<ypos> % of vertical height.
                            ‘<width>, ??? % width of screen to use. ???
                            ‘<height> ??? % height of screen to use. ???
                            ‘<POPUP> 0 or 1, not sure what this is supposed to do.

‘ .LabelShowPage
                            ‘ PuPlayer.LabelShowPage <screen#>,<PageNum>,<TimeToDisplay (0=set as default)>,<Special (json)>
                            ‘ Example:
                            ‘ Show our splash page #2 for 3 seconds.
                            ‘ puPlayer.LabelShowPage pDMD,2,3,””

‘ .LabelSet
                            ‘ PuPlayer.LabelSet <screen#>,<Labelname>,<String>,<Visible (1=visible, 0=invisible>,<Special (json)>

‘ <Special (json)>:
                            ‘ mt message type (1=animate…always for now)
                            ‘ at animate type (1=flashing, 2=motion)
                            ‘ fq when flashing it’s the frequency of flashing (150ms in the example below).
                            ‘ len length in ms of animation. Example below will auto stop animation in 3 seconds.
                            ‘ fc foreground color of text during animation

‘ Example:
                            ‘ Set our label SPLASH to Yipppeeeee.
                            ‘ puPlayer.LabelSet pDMD,”Splash”,”Yipppeeee”,0,”{‘mt’:1,’at’:1,’fq’:150,’len’:3000,’fc’:4443433}”

‘ playlistadd ( <folder name>, <sort/alpha/shuffle>, <restSeconds>)

‘ playlistplayex (<screen#>,<playlistname>, <filename>, <volume>, <priority>)

‘ pupDMDDisplay(pEventID, pText , VideoName,TimeSec, pAni, pPriority)

‘ .Init(DisplayNum: Integer; const RootDir: WideString);

‘ .playlistadd(DisplayNum: Integer; folder: WideString; sort,restSeconds: Integer);

‘ .playlistplay(DisplayNum: Integer; playlist: WideString);

‘ .playlistplayex(DisplayNum: Integer; playlist, playfilename: WideString; volume, priority: Integer);

‘ .playpause(DisplayNum: Integer);

‘ .playresume(DisplayNum: Integer);

‘ .playstop(DisplayNum: Integer);

‘ .setVolume(DisplayNum: Integer;vol: Integer);
                            ‘ vol=default volume for display

‘ .setVolumeCurrent(DisplayNum, Vol: Integer);
                            ‘ vol of current playing media, no affect on default media volume.

‘ .SetLength(DisplayNum: Integer;StopSecs: Integer);
                            ‘ after you play a file call setlength if you want it to stop.
                            ‘ setlength(5) will stop video at 5 seconds mark.

‘ .SetLoop(DisplayNum: Integer;LoopState: Integer);
                            ‘ if you set LoopState=1, it will loop the currently playing file. 0=cancel loop

‘ .SetBackGround(DisplayNum: Integer;Mode: Integer);
                            ‘ if you set Mode=1, it will set current playing file as background (loop it always).
                            ‘ Mode=0 to cancel background. Note if user has ‘POP-UP’ mode this will be disabled automagically (you don’t need to worry about it).

Some of this is probably crufty old code residue now, but I have no way of knowing what is and what isn’t…

Rebel Oz
                            Participant
                              @rebeloz69

Thanks Terry. Yes, I have been over that wiki numerous times (each time I seem to learn something new!), but unfortunately, I have still yet to be able to trigger any event which results in an update on the playfield display.

Aside from that, I’m not just hoping to slam a video over the playfield; I’d like to be able to throw programmatically generated variable text onto areas of the playfield as well, and I don’t see a way I could do that with a “run-of-the-mill’ pup pack… :)

NailBuster
                                @nailbuster
                                ModeratorMember

@rebeloz69 the reason you can’t find what you’re looking for, and nobody has examples for that is that its not possible/practical.  It’s not a limitation of PuP, its the fact that windows wont let you do things if a game is running full-screen exclusive (which most people do).  Also, if people are just using player, i doubt they even setup their playfield puparea display.

PuP displays are all the same,  so if you can do something with PuP#2,  you can do it with PuP#3…  it doesn’t know/care.

Its easy to test,  run your vpx in  window border mode 800×600 and put it in the corner…. your pup-playfield stuff should be visible then.

Also,  forget about overlay transparent text over a game as that at 4K is not going work.

This thread is not for this type of discussion, so if you want to discuss more just start a new thread…..

PS.  you have a bug in your code example as you forgot to labelInit …  it initializes the text overlay for that pup (need to be called on each pup you want labels on).

TerryRed
                                  @terryred

Thanks Terry. Yes, I have been over that wiki numerous times (each time I seem to learn something new!), but unfortunately, I have still yet to be able to trigger any event which results in an update on the playfield display.

Aside from that, I’m not just hoping to slam a video over the playfield; I’d like to be able to throw programmatically generated variable text onto areas of the playfield as well, and I don’t see a way I could do that with a “run-of-the-mill’ pup pack… :)

This isn’t a “pup” problem…it’s a VPX problem and Windows limitation.

Simply put…with “VPX” you cannot add pup directly “in” vpx itself. VPX simply isnt capable of allowing a pup display to be shown on the table as a texture, on the playfield, or elsewhere within the VPX window.

With FP-BAM…well they are awesome :) so you “can” do that…but you still need to display the pup-pack separately from FP and then you are able to “stream” any pup display into a FP table, and use it as a texture anywhere you want (playfield, backglass,etc). You can see this on my “PinEvent” tables…. but not Star Wars as I’m currently updating it for PinEvent. (you don’t need doflinx anymore for pup on fp)

The only other option for VPX is to run it in Borderless Windowed and force the PuP-Pack on top of the VPX Window, which is more a workaround to the limitations of Windows…and not really how pup was meant to be used…so it’s not ideal or perfect… but it can work.

Rebel Oz
                                  Participant
                                    @rebeloz69

@Nailbuster, thanks for the response. I did create a thread for just such a discussion (https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/pinup-player-script-is-using-the-playfield-display-possible/), and would welcome your esteemed input.

Thanks for pointing out that labels need initialisation – in my ‘table’ code (not shown in the code fragment above), I did set up the labels, and confirmed functionality on the backglass, just not able to replicate this on the playfield.

I guess that the relevance of THIS thread is to point at that the function calls available for use within PinUp Player are still a mystery to me, even after countless hours of searching; the use of the Playfield to display content is really just an edge case example of one old-school coders battle to get to grips with it in the absence of a ‘programming guide’. ;)

If there’s a better thread for discussing the documentation/usage of the advanced capabilities of this truly remarkable piece of work (ie, PinUp Player), I’d be more than happy to direct further queries there…

LynnInDenver
                                    Participant
                                      @lynnindenver

Nailbuster has it in terms of the limitation that enough people have Full Screen Exclusive set that trying to use the Playfield screen to overlay PuP stuff over the playfield is utterly impractical for a general release. Full Screen Exclusive forces the VPX playfield screen to the top, since it’s to be “exclusive”. And doing PuP playfield overlays on systems without that setting turned on may still lead to significant focus issues on tables.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                                      Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                                      Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

MarcosRH
                                      Participant
                                        @marcosrh

Do these versions 1.4.5 of the Player and Frontend already include all previous updates integrated?
                                        Now just install these 2 files?

TerryRed
                                          @terryred

Do these versions 1.4.5 of the Player and Frontend already include all previous updates integrated?

Now just install these 2 files?

For a fresh install… yes it includes all updates. Don’t forget to install your preferred theme for your setup as well.

KNG
                                          Participant
                                            @kng1

Hi,

I seem to have most everything running well in 1.4 except for PinUP Menu Player. I get an error message when I run it that continually repeats in multiple windows until I force exit via Task Manager:

Access violation at address 0084FAB8 in module ‘pinupmenu.exe’. Read of address 00000060.

Can you please help me solve the issue? Many thanks!

I had this same problem today after testing a new monitor and flipper buttons.  It turns out that when I reverted everything back, I inadvertently swapped the signal and the ground wire on the flipper button.  This error occurs on the start up of Popper, and is like you are holding a flipper button down.  I hope this helps someone in the future.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 144 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?