Pirate Gold Restoration

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Scottacus
    Participant
      @scottacus
      MembervipContributor

So the shooter guide and apron are trash, they both need to be redone.  Earlier in this post I showed scans of them that were cleaned up in photoshop and I was planning on using Decal Pro to transfer them to the refinished shooter guide and apron.  Upon thinking about this some more I decided to go a different route and tried something new.

Here is the shooter guide.

20200209_090551

I wire brushed off all of the rust, painted it with high build auto primer and then hit it with white primer.

20200210_081632

Much better!  I then pulled out my Cricut vinyl cutter and cut out the mask for the graphics.

20200210_081717

Put the mask onto the shooter guide and mixed blue and white Createx paints to the right color as well as black straight out of the bottle.

20200210_082331

Painted the blue and black, let it dry, pulled off the mask, hit the paint with heat (Createx sets with heat) and presto, a bright and clean shooter guide!

20200211_180251

I’ll cover the dull primer and Createx with clear coat when I get out the spray equipment for clear coating the playfield.

Scottacus
      Participant
        @scottacus
        MembervipContributor

Here’s the apron as well, same technique.

1advyg2h1l6qajn9yvq5yv53edqeygbf20200212_10524320200212_124322

bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

Turned out great! DecalPro wins again.

Did those originally have webbing spray or is that just detritus all over? Hard to even tell.

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

Really great job @scottacus

Scottacus
            Participant
              @scottacus
              MembervipContributor

@Bord what is webbing spray?  I’ve heard about webbing on aprons but I’m not sure what that is?

I bit the bullet tonight and started the touch up painting process.  I started with the coconut tree brown and black outline and then continued with the black for the main frond of the tree, pirate’s hat and treasure chest.  This is going to take some time…

20200212_200440

bord
                @bord

There’s a little bit on webbing here:

http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#repaint

It’s basically a spatter coat on the cabinet. Lots of pre 70s games had it on the top and bottom apron, rails and plunger cover. Pirate’s Gold looked like either a ton of webbing or just dirt and grime.

webbingapron

1 user thanked author for this post.
                JR
                Participant
                  @jfr1

Thanks again Scott for sharing this Odyssey here.  Fascinating.  Do you work on guitars?  Just joking.  Love this pic, but guits are meant to get dinged and scarred.

20200212_233007

Scottacus
                  Participant
                    @scottacus
                    MembervipContributor

Nice Tele, even better game on the cab :whistle:

JR
                    Participant
                      @jfr1

If you know geeetars… between the two real guitarist’s in my band, one has a vintage 1968ish Gold Top Les Paul and the other has a first run Stevie Ray Strat.  Combined they’re worth what my house is.  Real joy to play them…but that LP is a BOAT Anchor!!  Lugging that around for 3 hours is crazy.  And I prefer the simplicity of my Tele.

Capersville is taking me forever to get a ball to last longer than a minute or two, but LOVE it and keep going back for more.  Thanks again for taking time to create/fix/post stuff!!

Scottacus
                      Participant
                        @scottacus
                        MembervipContributor

Yes LP’s are for the young and strongbacked, that’s why I play semi-hollow bodies like this one.

dsc04915_med_hr-2

Here’s what the playfield painting of Pirate Gold looks like at this point in time.  The blue, light green, some black and half of the medium green are done (splits at the middle of the lower playfield.  Lots of black detail line work to do as well as the dark green, red and nearly impossible to match off white left.

20200215_11292620200215_112904

bord
                          @bord

Huge improvement!

Also, nice guitar!

bord
                            @bord

No don’t pull the parts off of the back just the things that stick through the playfield like leaf switches, flippers, pop bumpers and lamps. BTW the pop bumpers are partially held in place by the light wiring so you will need to desolder the leads to the lights.

Unfortunately for my project they had a contest to see how many pop bodies they could fit on a single playfield:

IMG_20200207_120746554

JR
                            Participant
                              @jfr1

Scott Miller custom?  …had to Google it.  Absolutely gorgeous and neat story.

And wow!  Quite the project you’ve got going.  Looks like you’re having fun.  Can’t wait to see it finished!  Speaking of custom – is that a diy rotisserie?

Scottacus
                              Participant
                                @scottacus
                                MembervipContributor

Thanks @JR, yes I also build guitars I just wish I could play them well…  http://www.semillerguitars.com

Yes the rotsserie is a home brew, it’s OK but not great.  A little to flimsy for my liking, if I sand too vigorously on it I need to add cross straps to prevent it for swaying too much.  Its a good height for fixing mechs but is too low for painting comfortably with a brush.

@Bord
                                , yikes there are a ton of bumpers on that playfield but on the bright side,the playfield looks nice and intact.   I remove all of the hardware from the bumpers so that only the solder joints to the light legs remain and then use a hot soldering iron or gun to desolder the legs from the wiring.   Ask @BorgDog about removing bumpers he might have a better way of doing this.

BorgDog
                                Participant
                                  @borgdog
                                  MemberContributorvip

Ha, no magic tricks here, pops are just a pain to remove.

bord
                                    @bord

Yeah, it really is in great shape. I wouldn’t be taking this apart at all if the cabinet weren’t shedding paint like crazy and if I weren’t losing playfield art in the crosshairs of where the kickers send the ball. Time to get that repaired and cleared.

I’ve done a few pop bumper rebuilds so I’m not too worried about removing the lamp legs. Certainly not my favorite task… I ordered a rotisserie from @wrd1972 so I’ve got pf stuff on hold until that arrives.

Been meaning to start a thread for it around here. Hopefully I’ll get to it soon.

Scottacus
                                    Participant
                                      @scottacus
                                      MembervipContributor

That is a nice looking rotisserie, very sturdy and looks like sits on a bench or table top.  That should put it at a nice height for art work touch up.

JR
                                      Participant
                                        @jfr1

…wait a second…Scott-a-cus…is also Scott the luthier??

Scottacus
                                        Participant
                                          @scottacus
                                          MembervipContributor

Yep, I do mostly repair work now like the Martin that just got dropped off with water damage that released part of the top, ouch!

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

Seeing these projects makes me want another project! Though I just did finish re tiling my entry way including all new woodwork/doors and trim :)

7E64BB99-454B-454E-A5DF-BC2A9F26129C

********************************************************
                                            Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                            for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 81 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?