Questions about toys to cabinet! What should i go for?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Malinas
    Participant
      @malinas

Hello there! I have decided to order the EZ kit from Zebsboard and i also going to add plunger, nudge support and also surround sound with 6 exciters to that.

EZKit_Standard_V2S1-640x480295-210_HR_0

I am wondering a couple of things here if any boy or girl has experience from this since I’m totally new ;)

1. Is it “overkill” to add surround sound + exciters to this package from ZebBoards. I have today 4 Canton InCeiling 885 + 8″ Klipsch Subwoofer and it sounds good. But ofc the “click” sounds from solenoids and a real shaker + knocker is missing. Im also adding flashtrips under the ceiling, and strobes on top of the backglass. Im currently building in LIFX strips in the legs + bottom cabinet. And i will try to make the led´s work together with the setup, but i am not sure yet. But if I succeed i will post it here in the forum, cause i have not found any LIFX info here yet.

ic880_1966700_klipsch_r8sw2

2. What PLUNGER / NUDGE kit should i go for in your opinion?  ZEB has this Digital / Analog Plunger Assembly V3 and VirtuaPin has the Digital Plunger Kit V3. What is your experience with this plungers/nudge kit?
      20180618_124727-268x268  PlungerKit-v3 

Thanks in advance for any kind of input!

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Cannot say anything bad about zebs stuff but stay away from that virtua pin plunger it’s nothing but problems.  also not a huge fan of car starters for solenoids

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

I have the zeb kit your considering. I’m not sure why randr doesn’t like starters. Here, the cab is located in the entrance hall, one stair down from the bedrooms. Once advantage to that setup is that it has a night switch. And I used it often since my exciter setup is awesome enough and I tend to play late in the evenings. You need exciters – right randr ? :)

I’ve always felt that the starters gives a feeling of “the same sound”. I’ve planned for a long time to muffle the sling and the flippers with some wool material. Still haven’t come around to actually implement it. I have the key/nudge controller V2 from Zebs as well. I’ve been super happy with it. I was actually happy with V1 too, but, it only lasted until the first eager 12-13 year old girl came along :) V2 is still working after more than a few friend’ visits with beer so I recommend it. I know that Jens swears by another setup. I haven’t tested it, but, I trust him when he says its good. So, these two are not the only solutions out there.

For sound I have this set https://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=120&zenid=lddqinln6jho7sm6b4tcitb333 and since then I’ve added two more Lepai 2.1 amps and 4x exciters. I’m yet to try bass impactors. Have a feeling it will not fit my fine tuned nudge, so I’m currently just acknowledging that it exists.

What ever you do. And this is where I’m not agreeing with DjRobX. Don’t use the digital nudge controller for tilt, get a regular tilt bob and learn to fine tune that.

Zeb
          Participant
            @zebulon

Actually, the tilt function on the V3 plunger I build operates on the same principle as a tilt bob.

You set the threshold level (sensitivity) for tilt using the knob on the bottom of the plunger.  That threshold is referenced after the gain settings for nudge (nudge sensitivity) have been set to your preferences using a combination of the gain settings in the game software and the fine tuning adjustment knob on the bottom of the plunger.  Since the tilt sensitivity is referenced to the nudging sensitivity it stays in alignment with the forces being exerted on the cab.

When the threshold for tilt is breached by a hard enough nudge, the plunger sends a fully debounced ‘t’ keystroke (actual input signal is debounced and the frequency of the signals is also timer delayed meaning that multiple tilt signals within a set time frame only register the 1st signal)  to the computer, the same as a tilt bob would.  The plunger doesn’t use anything tilt related (other than setting the tilt keystroke to ‘t’)  in the game software to accomplish any of this making it the same as a tilt bob.

I do agree that if you rely on the tilt subroutines in VP for example, the response is far from perfect, that is why I coded the tilt function into the plunger firmware instead.

I know so little about everything that I could tell you all there is to know about nothing

bord
              @bord
              MembervipContributorModerator

Read the Virtua Pin plunger support thread before even considering that thing. Sounds like a nightmare.

I used a Zeb’s plunger for a couple years before doing a Pinscape setup. It was great.

Malinas
              Participant
                @malinas

Cannot say anything bad about zebs stuff but stay away from that virtua pin plunger it’s nothing but problems.  also not a huge fan of car starters for solenoids

Yes, Zeb´s stuff seems to be awesome. I have now tried the Virtua Pin Plunger , and i totally agree with everyone that says its not so good so i will go for Zebs instead. I like the sound from car starters though so i will go for that ;) Thanks for your input!

Malinas
                Participant
                  @malinas

Read the Virtua Pin plunger support thread before even considering that thing. Sounds like a nightmare. I used a Zeb’s plunger for a couple years before doing a Pinscape setup. It was great.

Could´t find the thread ;/ but i have tested it out now and it was, well very hard to configure and didn´t work that well when it comes to nudging. I tried the default settings, and also the ones that comes with the package, also some i found on the net. But no, i will give up this and go for Zebs instead. Thanks for the answer!

Malinas
                  Participant
                    @malinas

I have the zeb kit your considering. I’m not sure why randr doesn’t like starters. Here, the cab is located in the entrance hall, one stair down from the bedrooms. Once advantage to that setup is that it has a night switch. And I used it often since my exciter setup is awesome enough and I tend to play late in the evenings. You need exciters – right randr ? :) I’ve always felt that the starters gives a feeling of “the same sound”. I’ve planned for a long time to muffle the sling and the flippers with some wool material. Still haven’t come around to actually implement it. I have the key/nudge controller V2 from Zebs as well. I’ve been super happy with it. I was actually happy with V1 too, but, it only lasted until the first eager 12-13 year old girl came along :) V2 is still working after more than a few friend’ visits with beer so I recommend it. I know that Jens swears by another setup. I haven’t tested it, but, I trust him when he says its good. So, these two are not the only solutions out there. For sound I have this set https://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=120&zenid=lddqinln6jho7sm6b4tcitb333 and since then I’ve added two more Lepai 2.1 amps and 4x exciters. I’m yet to try bass impactors. Have a feeling it will not fit my fine tuned nudge, so I’m currently just acknowledging that it exists. What ever you do. And this is where I’m not agreeing with DjRobX. Don’t use the digital nudge controller for tilt, get a regular tilt bob and learn to fine tune that.

Thanks Thalamus! Always so helpful to us noobies that pops up on this site! ;)

Yes, the off and on button Zeb told me about sounds great actually though we living in an apartment where like the neighbors can hear us fart in here.
                    Like i answered the rest here i will go for the same as you but V3 that Zeb told me about, the virtua pin plunger dropped down my mailbox yesterday actually and i had some time to try to make it work, but it was a nightmare. I am a noob, so i don´t serve the right to write that i feel after such short test, but why i write this is beacuse both the site + the site told me when i buyed everything that this is plug/play, just put in the plug and play! But it wasnt like that…

Didnt knew i had to rewire all the buttons to this new card, since in future pinball don´t take 2 controllers at the same time for the buttons. BUT i had a great time doing it, it was fun and i learned something new about it! But now, no matter what i do, the nudge is crazy off no matter what i set it to, i tried default settings, what i found on google, videos and so on, but no this is not working for me as it was supposed to :( So i will include the V3 in this package im buying from ZEB instead and hope for the best!

Worst thing though , but that is not the plunger/nudgers fault of course, but i am not sure how to solve that problem. When i have a liiitttle more volume, and the BASS to its thing in the cabinet, the BALL goes crazy! haha so i guess the bass makes the sensors do their thing.

It is a problem that can´t be solved right?

Anyway! Regarding your exciters, i have looked on them and if you says they are good, i will go for them to! ;)
                    And about the TILT BOB you write about, that sounds awesome and may solve the BASS + SENSOR CRAZY thing? Right?
                    Where do i buy that one + controller or what else that is needed?

THANK you for your support + work on this amazing site!

Malinas
                    Participant
                      @malinas

Actually, the tilt function on the V3 plunger I build operates on the same principle as a tilt bob.

You set the threshold level (sensitivity) for tilt using the knob on the bottom of the plunger.  That threshold is referenced after the gain settings for nudge (nudge sensitivity) have been set to your preferences using a combination of the gain settings in the game software and the fine tuning adjustment knob on the bottom of the plunger.  Since the tilt sensitivity is referenced to the nudging sensitivity it stays in alignment with the forces being exerted on the cab.

When the threshold for tilt is breached by a hard enough nudge, the plunger sends a fully debounced ‘t’ keystroke (actual input signal is debounced and the frequency of the signals is also timer delayed meaning that multiple tilt signals within a set time frame only register the 1st signal)  to the computer, the same as a tilt bob would.  The plunger doesn’t use anything tilt related (other than setting the tilt keystroke to ‘t’)  in the game software to accomplish any of this making it the same as a tilt bob.

I do agree that if you rely on the tilt subroutines in VP for example, the response is far from perfect, that is why I coded the tilt function into the plunger firmware instead.

Hi there Zeb! Happy to see you here, thanks for teaching me something new! I will go for your plunger aswell!

If you see what i wrote to Thalamus ,  regarding my SUB woofer makes the nudge go wild, is this a problem even with your plunger?

I bought this other plunger before i found your site, and i got it yesterday. So i will have 2 plungers but , i learned something from this ;)

I will answer your e-mail now, this is going to be fun! ;)

Thalamus
                        @thalamus

I think you’ve made a great choice. Zeb’s kit is very easy to install. So, easy that maybe anything you do beyond it feels like a big job. Know this. Even though I’ve owned two version of the nudge/controller it doesn’t mean that the setting I used from them where directly transferable. I don’t know how many hours I’ve spent trying out different solutions. I ended up moving the nudge sensor up from the base of the cab to horizontal mounted beam that I tried as best possible to absorb from any mechanical movement that the toys gave me.

Only after following @wrd1972 suggestion to use some extra padding was I able to get close to where I wanted. There is a thread over at vpf about it – somewhere. I was not able to find it this time around. But, I know I spent some time on this thread too.

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=24397&hl=

I’ll see if I can find the one I have in mind and add it to the wiki, not only for you, but who ever comes along later on. Happy to hear that you will try a regular tilt-bob. Now I’ve got two guys I don’t agree with Zeb and DjRobX B-)   :whistle:

Asking me about what exciters are best – is kind of hopeless. Anyone that hasn’t tried them all, can’t really give you anything else than feedback on how happy they are with theirs. I know there are a few guys over at the Facebook group that has tried more than one model. So, once you get to that point – it might be a good idea to ask. Hell, they might even read this. I just don’t care much for anything that is going on in FB.

outhere
                          @outhere
                          MemberContributorvipModerator

Finally…No more DOF solenoid feedback causing false nudging
                          https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=38357&hl=

These are the exciters is I’m using and they sound good
                          https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-daex58fp-flat-pack-58mm-exciter-25w-8-ohm–295-210

A friend of mine tried these and there a no go
                          https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-daex25q-4-quad-feet-25mm-exciter-20w-4-ohm–295-228

1 user thanked author for this post.
                          Thalamus
                            @thalamus

:heart: :heart: @outhere

Thanks to him – I’ve added it to the wiki under https://vpinball.com/wiki/visual-pinball-knowledge-base/nudge-calibration/

Be aware that there are a few good articles in that wiki about the subject now. It is definitely work a few visits once you get there.

Malinas
                            Participant
                              @malinas

Thank you so much!!!   :heart:

Ok, I’m about to order the following stuff now.  B-)

FF5-Complete Set295-210_HR_0

1. This with Lepai + 2 5.25 + 8 Woofer (I have woofer already but i guess, this is mounted in a different way, right?)
                              2. 2 more Lepai amplifiers (3 so in total)
                              3. 4 of this Exciter @outhere  recommended!  :mail:

So in total, 3 amplifiers + 4 exciters then + the woofer?
                              Is there ANY WAY you can post a picture of your placement and wiring for all this so I know what I am standing in front of?
                              I totally respect if you don´t have time to take a picture, but I mean if you like already have one ;) or a simple way to show me how to place and install all these things in the cabinet?

Cause if like I can keep my sub, that would be good! And now that I start to think this all over, the 5.25 speakers that are in your package, they go in the backglass for main sound right? Cause I already have speakers there ;) So maybe I only need, woofer + exciters + amplifiers ;)

APPRECIATE this so much! <3 thank you once again! Tell me if you want some design, animation or similar done since I work with that on a daily basis or something else i can help you out with! I will be there ;)  :bye:

outhere
                                @outhere

the 5.25 speakers that are in your package, they go in the backglass for main sound right? — Yes
                                placement and wiring
                                https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/example-ssf-installations/

More info
                                https://vpinball.com/wiki/visual-pinball-knowledge-base/win10-and-lost-music-rom-sounds/

Malinas
                                Participant
                                  @malinas

Thank you @outhere! That helped me alot!!!!

@thalamus
                                  i found everything here in Sweden instead after some research.

I bought JBL Stage 810 (8″) to go in the bottom of the cabinet.
                                  this will be driven by the GAS BEAT 500.1 

900BEAT5001285STAGE810

+ 4 (200w Shakers) together with DAYTON APA150.

860APA150_32365011

I think it will be awesome together with Zebs kit ;) Will also go for @zeb ´s plunger as well! I will update you when everything is finished!

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus

Cool. The only concern I have is that you will have to figure out a genius new way to protect the nudge unit from the power house you’re putting into your cab. Well, you can of course always turn the volume down B-) Please keep us informed :good:

outhere
                                      @outhere

Like Putting a jet engine in a Prius — I like it — LOL

zimbakin
                                      Participant
                                        @zimbakin

Plunger: I went with the DIY Pinscape (AEDR-8300) for the plunger. Works beautifully, very sensitive and no calibration issues. A bit of mucking around to build it, however an awesome result and worth the effort… Very happy.

Re. Car starter solenoids, I ripped the face plate off, removing the seal/baffle and have them smash an MDF panel mounted to the cab. It works great. Not as loud as my real Pinball solenoids, however they work and sound great (loud enough), providing a good level of tactile feedback and they are way cheaper. If money is not a problem go with real pinball solenoids (you’ll have to add a second big 50Vpower supply… gets tight)

Never take advice from me,
                                        you'll end up drunk.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?