Sound positioning/Mechanical Sounds not right

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    Juwellez
    Participant
      @juwellez

@juwellez this shouldn’t effect ROM sounds at all as far as I know. Best way to test is to just use my test 10.6 vpx (dont switch to 10.7) and just switch the audio option to the previous 7.1 option and try it. If the ROM sounds don’t work on either one then its nothing to do with ssf enhancements. Its really only a handful of lines changing the sound positions fed to the DirectSound3D API.

@juwellez
      this enhancement really requires the table to be properly written for SSF. That said I don’t have a particular test to ensure things can be intentionally sent to the back box (music does) as required. Sending chimes to the backbox speakers might be a preferred arrangement under this model. But I will check out that table to see whats going on. Also positioning via the sound manager may need some work as I don’t think that goes through my positional correction.

So its differences like that which kinda make me want to keep this as an optional selection. (at least in 10.6).

Yes I am aware that the table has to be setup for SSF correctly, but I wanted to see what happened without proper setup and it actually improved the sound on the table for Royal flush, some chime still to the backglass speakers.

Played AC-DC (Stern 2012) (not JP) and target sounds were fantastic in SSF version and 10.7beta no sounds.  So SSF version works amazing.  Will play around with the Black night 2000 and see what is up there.

Thank again

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

What you are now talking about is something I’ve been wondering about for a long time. What has priority ? The sound manger or the script ? There are more than a few features of VP where there is no documentation. What I expect to be the truth is that if the sound is anything different from 0,0 then it is possible to move via script. But, like I said – not really explained anywhere than maybe inside the source code if at all.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Thalamus.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        njk70
        Participant
          @njk70

@juwellez sorry, misunderstood your comment. I thought it was moving things from the backbox that you wanted to stay there! My bad.

@thalamus
          , I looked at this early on in the code and I *think* the sound manager positions for the object were added to whatever sound position you told it to play at.

volume += dequantizeSignedPercent(pps->m_volume);
          pan += dequantizeSignedPercent(pps->m_balance);
          front_rear_fade += dequantizeSignedPercent(pps->m_fade);

not sure that makes sense and definitely won’t be right with the new code. So maybe I have to tackle this before it can be released (yuch)

Juwellez
          Participant
            @juwellez

@njk70  you let me play so just trying to give you full testing feedback :yes: :mail:

Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

@njk70 : I don’t think you need to change anything to be honest. It is a good thing when the new code is very compatible with how things have worked before. All I would need is a clear answer to this question without me guessing from the code. I’ve compiled a few vpx’s myself, guessing what the code means as I’m not able to understand c code well enough to be confident. Constants changed here and there – mostly out of curiosity I admit. Sometime maybe a placebo effect as result at best.

TDGman
              Participant
                @tdgman

This sounds exciting….I’d love to try it out if you are needing another tester. Thanks for applying your expertise to further this hobby/obsession?

njk70
                Participant
                  @njk70

Near as I can tell when you play a sound it adds those components (pan/fade/volume) to whatever position you told it to play at. For volume I imagine it works fairly well.  Not sure when you would use it for position (I need to find a table using it). So looking at sound manager with my current code it doesn’t seem to work while it ‘works’ with the old version. I think its worth spending a little bit of time trying to fix it.

njk70
                  Participant
                    @njk70

Actually I take it back, my audio settings were set wrong. The sound manager positional settings seem almost equally dysfunctional in both surround sound versions (at least in the test dialog in the sound manager, in actual use they might be equally ok). The issue is the Play button in sound manager, and test button in the sound manager position adjustment dialog use different functions to play the sound which is also different than what the script calls to play a sound. It would take a bit of effort to fix and I don’t quite know enough to make the changes. And I don’t know of any table that uses them. So I won’t tackle that one, my changes should work equally well with whatever it is doing.

zackman
                    Participant
                      @zackman

I would love to test.

njk70
                      Participant
                        @njk70

For those testing. When you switch back to stock 10.6.1 or 10.7 you will probably need to reset your audio settings to the regular 7.1 surround since the settings data is shared between the versions and those versions won’t know what to do with the new value they will reset them (I think mine got reset to basic stereo).

AnthozoA
                        Participant
                          @ludovicmichalon

I would be happy to help and test VPinballXssfrc1.exe.
                          If you accept my modest contribution, thank you in advance

Bo Sandqvist
                          Participant
                            @bosandqvist

I will love to test it

studlygoorite
                            Participant
                              @studlygoorite

If you don’t mind, I would like to give this a go, always trying to get the best SSF I can out of every table.

studlygoorite
                              Participant
                                @studlygoorite

Thanks for this, I just gave it a go and noticed that with the old audio settings and the exciters turned down I was getting all sounds through the backbox, tried your fix and noticed that all sounds still came out of the backbox but even louder. Then I noticed that my audio settings had been changed to “Quadraphonic” instead of 7.1 I don’t know for how long, DOH! After returning to 7.1 your fix has removed the bumpers, slingshots, wire ramp sounds etc. from the backbox, I also noticed that in Mars Attacks when the Martians attack the rattling Martians are more pronounced now. Still testing, thanks again for this :)

njk70
                                Participant
                                  @njk70

To get the comparison right (in case you didn’t already try this). Check what you got with the old 7.1 setting. That should have given you sound on the exciters but with some backbox bleed (especially from things at the top of the table). The new 7.1 should give you sound on the exciters with no backbox bleed (among other enhancements).

Glad people seem to be liking the change. Would love to hear from more of the testers.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                  jarr3
                                  Participant
                                    @jarr3

I’d like to do a test if still possible.

Sounds really interesting!

AnthozoA
                                    Participant
                                      @ludovicmichalon

I said: wouah, it’s amazing !

It’s testing and approving !

I expected something much more subtle, while no the difference is there !  This really does enhance SSF !

Impossible for me to go back, it is a huge improvement !

Congratulations njk70 :good: and thank you for allowing me to try.

P.S. if you can do the same with the beta version 10.7, i would be interested too.

Ratdz
                                      Participant
                                        @ratdz

I would love to check this out if you still want more people to try it out.

Love SSF and can’t imagine it making it better. But I love to hope!

nbelleno
                                        Participant
                                          @nbelleno

Sounds a lot better for sure, it’s subtle but a big difference at the same time.  I have had some ball studder and flipper lag that I don’t have in other vpx’s.  Don’t know if it’s just me or not.  Otherwise great work.

Janos
                                          Participant
                                            @aradij

Hello! Do You need more tester? :) I would be happy to enchance my SSF system.

Regards,

Janos

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 154 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?