Thoughts on vpcabs shark tank deal?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    randr
    Keymaster
      @randr
      ModeratorMember

I think it’s a bad deal if cabs will be made in China now. :( but if he needed help good for him I guess.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
      for IOS and Android

HauntFreaks
        @hauntfreaks
        vipContributorMember

I want everyone to know… I was at a Pin shows, that had VPcabs there
        every machine there had VP9 in it, and EVERY VP9 tables that any and all of us have made or modded
        this means they were running :
        Vpinmame – Illegal for resale
        VP9 – <span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>Illegal for resale
        ROM’s – </span><span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>Illegal for resale
        Personal Built Tables – </span><span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>Illegal for resale

any support for this disrespect is a slap in every Developers, Authors, Coders, Graphic Designer faces that has ever worked on any of these    :negative:   :negative:   :negative:  </span>

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Agreed. I wonder if sharks knew that most sales brad gets is not for fx2 but to play Vpinmame tables. Very strange deal.

MORE important why didnt the styles not work in your posts!?

for IOS and Android

greg butcher
          Participant
            @mameman

Wait I think there maybe a site you missed posting your rants hauntfreaks ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 user thanked author for this post.
            randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

Greg I just don’t get the deal? Time will tell I guess. We all love visual pinball! He sold fx2 cab so that’s cool. I just know that nobody buys a cab for fx2 that’s stupid

for IOS and Android

HauntFreaks
                @hauntfreaks
                vipContributorMember

Greg… LOL…. I’m not done yet…
                and wait… do you think I’m the only person that feels this way??
                how about I start a poll…. then you will see whos the majority and who the minority
                please man… you know as well as the rest of us… this is all BS…

ICPjuggla
                  @icpjuggla
                  MembervipModerator

I totally agree with hauntfreaks on this!

To me it’s totally bull shit to profit off of others hard work! The cabs are shipped with tables we authors have built! Weather it be a cab shipped with tables or a DVD with tables pre loaded, in my eyes it’s wrong to profit from “us” and our hard work. We are the ones spending 100’s of hours of our free time making tables, to give to the comunity for free.. To sit back and see my work and others work put on a cab or disk is just plain wrong in my opinion!

Ive been around for quite a wile and have had dozens of offers from members to get my address so they could send me something! Ask any of them, I’ve turned every one of them down. 3 members even offered to give me a new laptop when my old one took a shit! On top of that I’m also opposed to the beer me function over at VPU! That’s why I don’t release tables there anymore.. In my eyes I don’t need to profit from this I’m making tables for people to enjoy and for free…

HauntFreaks
                    @hauntfreaks
                    vipContributorMember

Wait I think there maybe a site you missed posting your rants hauntfreaks ;) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so I was just thinking about this??… I didnt even start this thread!!!…..  :yahoo:

Jesperpark
                    Participant
                      @jesperpark

I just don’t get how it’s going to sell cheap enough for anyone to buy it.  I know any of my buddies hear what any of us have spent on their machines, and it goes from I want one to oh well i will come over to play at your place.

From a legal standpoint like haunt said, just baffling how they could get around all the legal red tape.

From an author standing, i would be pissed if my hard work went to help line someone else’s pockets.  I think this community has great authors who are nice enough to give the rest of us a chance to enjoy these tables for free.

And i am no author, just a guy that enjoys the hard work of you guys and tries to help where i can

randr
                      Keymaster
                        @randr
                        ModeratorMember

@jasperpark just doing what you are doing is contributing! I personally love Visual Pinball and the people. But i don’t understand the shark tank thing. I like VPCabs product and Brad but just don’t get it. If he had offered VPCABS custom build tables to be included or something VPCabs only type of product i would understand asking for a deal.  :unsure:

********************************************************
                        for IOS and Android

BorgDog
                        Participant
                          @borgdog
                          MemberContributorvip

I having not watched it and just read about it, but frankly just don’t have enough fucks to give to really care about this.  I’m fairly new to the hobby, and have made a dozen or so tables and helped others with several others, but I’m doing it because I enjoy doing it, not because I expect anything from it.  Sure it is nice to get kudos, but if someone does something with what I have done or even makes money from it, meh.  I have stated elsewhere that anything I post can be used by anyone for whatever.

As far as the legalities go, not my problem.

randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr
                            ModeratorMember

agreed. I don’t really care either I just hope they are not including tables or anything MAME or Visual Pinball, VPINMAME related on cab or supplying a magic link to have pre installed X number of tables after sale. Wait they do that so your right its their legal problems.  I can sleep at night just fine.

for IOS and Android

HauntFreaks
                              @hauntfreaks
                              vipContributorMember

I do this for myself first, and to share freely second…. freely as in free to the end user, not to be profitable to a middle man…. I dont want anything for any work i’ve done , so i expect no one else to profit from it either

RustyCardores
                                @rustycardores
                                MemberModerator

I having not watched it and just read about it, but frankly just don’t have enough fucks to give to really care about this. I’m fairly new to the hobby, and have made a dozen or so tables and helped others with several others, but I’m doing it because I enjoy doing it, not because I expect anything from it. Sure it is nice to get kudos, but if someone does something with what I have done or even makes money from it, meh. I have stated elsewhere that anything I post can be used by anyone for whatever. As far as the legalities go, not my problem.

And that’s your right to do so and nobody will ever question that…..  Just as others have an equal right to say no.

randr
                                Keymaster
                                  @randr
                                  ModeratorMember

I will add its weird brad has not commented at all about this on any forum!  :scratch:

for IOS and Android

Jodannar
                                  Participant
                                    @jodannar

Perhaps he is considering his stance/re-evaluating what is actually being done with his product now that its hit the limelight. I personally don’t think you should supply the cabinets with anything thats not licensed, or build with the collective hobbyist in mind as a commercial product.

The cabinets, with pinballfx2 on them, sure. Thats a saleable product. You license the software, and you provide the materials and labour for development of the hardware.

With acommunity driven product that is made for personal use, such as VP and its tables, for the use of a COMMUNITY, as a hobby, thats a different thing. Sell the tables, sell pinballfx2, and point people towards the community to learn the rest and come along for the journey. “Fully loading” things, as with MAME is a problem on multiple levels.

Itchigo
                                    Participant
                                      @itchigo

I thought I was done with this crap, but ya pissed me off! :yes:

When I was at the Chicago Expo last year, I only saw FX2 on his cabs. Did I stand over him to try to catch him? No. But I had a good long conversation with him since we’ve done business together. I’ve talked to him in the past about Paul’s comments about his cabs being inferior, and his feeling was “I don’t know why he feels he has to do that”. This is like a year BEFORE Sharktank. Brad is not a strong forum guy, he’s a business owner. Why does he even have to respond? Because someone in a forum said something about him, and they want to get him on something? Again, he’s got a business to run, he aint got time for that. B-)

Now let’s review, shall we?

It’s announced at VPF that Visual Pinball will be featured on Sharktank. Just before this, out of the blue, Paul does a local piece on his own which airs just before Sharktank. I don’t remember seeing an announcement that “Paul was going to be on TV” until it happened. The timing is suspicious to me.

In this piece Paul shows VP! Harlem Globetrotters, to be exact. Brad showed FX2 on TV.

Immediately after Sharktank this mess unfolds- why now? If this has been going on all along, why is it only being talked about right now?? I believe it’s an attempt to diminish/damage control the Sharktank appearance to Virtuapin.

Neither one of these guys is going to put a cab in every home like a microwave, so there’s very limited market here. These are expensive toys. I might have 750$ into my cab (not including the PC), that’s cheap. But 750$ to the next guy may be someone else’s rent.

The only way for EITHER of these guys to make money is to control the whole scene. There’s not enough money to go 3 ways on this. Brad has no forum, just a business. Paul has a very controlled forum. People with competing products are banned.

Paul was given 100 licenses by Randy Davis when he started his business several years ago. How is he licensing them now if there’s “no commercial use”? I was in chat when someone asked for help with their Virtuapin, so don’t think for a second that both sides are completely clean.

The very nature of buying a cab is “I don’t have the time/patience/skills to make a cab, I’ll pay you to do it for me”. Why is this a shocker?? Because it’s “illegal”? Why hasn’t Randy Davis spoken up if it’s so bad? If the creator of the program hasn’t spoken up, why should we care?

I’ll say this again. Eventually some misguided individual is going to go to the wrong person and convince them that money is being lost, and that’ll be the end. Is your cab backed up??? Do you not need any more tables?

Some people talk as if they don’t support Virtupin VPF will go down and that’ll be the end. How naive. Let’s see, there’s here, VPU, and my site, and I’m sure SOMEONE has a torrent out there…. Nothing will be lost.

My advice: Sit down (or stand), STFU and enjoy pinball. Enjoy this for what it is, as long as it lasts. I mean, VP may not even work in the next OS, right?

Disclosure: I was paid by Brad to make a table. I made an original (scratch built) table that he planned to use to demo the machine to a customer bearing their name. The deal fizzled, but I was still paid for my time. Brad also powder coated all my parts, and printed decals for free. I was willing to pay for this, as it wasn’t part of the deal, but he wanted to do this for me.

No PM’s please, here, or at other sites.

Be a Rogue! http://roguepinball.com/ Full Screen DirectB2s Tables no one else has!

randr
                                      Keymaster
                                        @randr
                                        ModeratorMember

Well said itchigo.  :good:  but I will say 2 wrongs then don’t make it right. :) nobody should be including the vp software or the tables and roms when it’s sold commercially It’s just that simple. But we seem to all agree with that so…

for IOS and Android

Itchigo
                                        Participant
                                          @itchigo

Seeing all the stuff going on at vpf about roms reminded me of this post.

I’ll say this again. Eventually some misguided individual is going to go to the wrong person and convince them that money is being lost, and that’ll be the end. Is your cab backed up??? Do you not need any more tables?

BTW Randr I use my mousepad every day at work!  :good:

Be a Rogue! http://roguepinball.com/ Full Screen DirectB2s Tables no one else has!

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

They are good pads! We give a lot away and everyone loves them.

the whole rom thing with Gottlieb… I’m surprised it lasted as long as it did honestly. He had no right to host them and we all knew that but still is yet another wake up call for the hobby.

for IOS and Android

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?