Time Warp VPX build

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Gilrock
    Participant
      @gilrock

I’m working on redoing my Time Warp table for VPX so I created the thread mainly to post the questions I’ve been having.

To start off:

1)  My kickers don’t seem very random.  They seem to always kick out at the exact same angle and power.  I know on my real table the right kicker can really vary even to the point where sometimes it fails to make it out of the chute and fall back in to be kicked again.  I’ve got the Hit Accuracy at 0.6 which I thought was what would give it randomness.  The top kicker got stuck in a loop where it was kicking the ball out into one bumper, bouncing over to another bumper, and then back in the hole.  I watched it do this for a minute.  Never saw that behavior in the old VP9 build.  I would expect a little bit of randomness to keep that from happening.

2) I tried to copy the lighting technique for the drop targets in Gorgar but it appears that the lights are blocked by the targets even when the targets are dropped.  You can see the same issue on the Gorgar table when the target drops none of the light makes it in front of the target.  The only way I could get something better was to put a light object with the crosshair in front of the target.  I put one in front of each target.  The issue is when 2 side by side targets drop the lights don’t overlap evenly.  Seems like I might have to resort to a single light and use walls to cover it up for each target.  Not even sure that will work but this just seems like its just as much of a pain to design as it was in VP9.

I’ll end there for now.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Gilrock
      Participant
        @gilrock

By the way here’s the playfield update.  It was 2K and I updated it to be 4K.  For some reason most of the text was rasterized so I had to fix 75% of the text.  A good portion of the playfield has been vectorized except for the T-Rex, pterodactyls, wizard, planets, and snakes.  I just cleaned up those areas as best I could.  I just didn’t think I could vector those areas and it not look fake.  Probably seems crazy but my Photoshop file for the playfield has 450 layers and 69 groups.

The drop target areas are different because I’m still experimenting with how to make it look the best so trying different things on both sides.  I’m also not sure what I’m going to do for the kickers.  None of the built-in ones seem to look like my table.

Attachments:
        Gilrock
        Participant
          @gilrock

Before anyone rushes to answer the first question I found out how to design the kickers.  I saw someone reference a help vbsdoc except it did not exist on my PC where they said it should be but then I checked my main cabinet and it was there so I must have upgraded my design machine differently.  And then I found a table that was using the techniques.  But then it also caused me to notice 50 other things I want to improve.  Still don’t have a handle on the best way to do the shadows but I’m gonna punt that till last and not waste more time on it.

bord
            @bord
            MembervipContributorModerator

Still don’t have a handle on the best way to do the shadows but I’m gonna punt that till last and not waste more time on it.

PM me when you get close to the end. I’m happy to render shadows out for you in Blender. Keep your GI lighting as simple circles for now.

Glad to see you’re taking the plunge on VPX. By your second project you’ll be really glad you did. The first one is a bit of a grind.

Gilrock
            Participant
              @gilrock

Still don’t have a handle on the best way to do the shadows but I’m gonna punt that till last and not waste more time on it.

PM me when you get close to the end. I’m happy to render shadows out for you in Blender. Keep your GI lighting as simple circles for now.

Glad to see you’re taking the plunge on VPX. By your second project you’ll be really glad you did. The first one is a bit of a grind.

Cool…  You make it sound like you have an easy way to get the table objects into Blender.  I was curious cause I know years ago someone wrote an importer that could bring in a Future Pinball table cause I still have my file where I did it with this table.  But my positioning has slightly changed after converting it to VP.

bord
                @bord
                MembervipContributorModerator

Yes, VPX can export all of your visible table elements as an obj with separate meshes for everything. It’s a great (the great?) feature.

In VPX go to file/export/obj.

Import the obj in Blender with a scale of 10.

kds70
                Participant
                  @kds70

I´m very happy to see the Time Warp will be redone. I love this table and … btw … my VPin is a real time warp cabinet.

Thank you :rose:

VPin: Williams Time Warp Cabinet (1979), 4K playfield: 40" Iiyama X4071UHSU, backglass: 32" LG. Pin2DMD, Pincontrol 1, LEDWiz, nudging, tilt, plunger, 10 big siemens contactors, Shaker, Strobo, Gear, Beacon, RGB Flasher 5x, Knocker, PC: Intel i5 2500k@4.5Ghz, 8 GB Ram, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, Win10

Gilrock
                  Participant
                    @gilrock

I’m amazed by all the guys that build tables they don’t own or have access to.   I had my machine halfway disassembled to photograph all the parts.  Here’s an image of the file directory that has a lot of images.  You can see where I have plastic out on the sidewalk to get good light for a photo.

Attachments:
                    BorgDog
                    Participant
                      @borgdog
                      MemberContributorvip

It is definitely nice to have the real machine, when you start buying real machines so you can make them in vp is when you know you have a problem.  :wacko:

I like a scanner for the plastics, perfectly flat and proportional and even white background.

Gilrock
                      Participant
                        @gilrock

Never thought about putting them in a scanner…

Gilrock
                        Participant
                          @gilrock

I’ve done some playfield and plastic image improvements as well as changing out some the objects from old wall stuff to primitives or VPX objects.  Here’s what its looking like so far.  The bumper lighting isn’t right but I’ll see how it comes out when I get help with a shadow layer.  I’ll also be trying to work in the banana flippers later if I can make them work decent.

Attachments:
                          Gilrock
                          Participant
                            @gilrock

I’m wondering if there is a preferred positioning for the desktop view?  I’ve a seen a couple tables that were quite different.

BorgDog
                            Participant
                              @borgdog
                              MemberContributorvip

I think everyone has their own preferences, some prefer a midget, sorry little people view at low angle that fills more width of the screen, others prefer a more cabinet/top down view but that doesn’t fill the screen as much.  do whatever looks good to you everyone will adjust to their taste. Your screen shot looks good to me, and looks like it’s coming along nicely.  :good:

One thing that was stated at one time was for desktop in VPX to keep layback at 0 and x,y,z scale all at 1 and just use inclination and field of view along with the offsets to get the view you want.  I’m not sure what the reason for that was, but it seems to work.

WED21
                              Participant
                                @wed21

I had started building this in VPX about the same time you did but I think I may abandon mine as yours is looking great and my new Iron Maiden pin seems to have taken a little bit of my time :-) !!! Can’t wait to see the finished product!!

Gilrock
                                Participant
                                  @gilrock

Yeah except I actually started in 2014 and created a Future Pinball and Visual Pinball version.  I probably had well over 100 hours of artwork effort.  This was just a quick upgrade to convert it to VPX.  My Time Warp machine is still fully operational.  One thing I was really proud of is how the sound came out.   You get a different sound on the left slingshot versus the right slingshot and the same with the drop target resets and bumpers.  Its amazing how much it sounds like my table.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?