To Mod or Not to Mod, That is the Question

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Sliderpoint
    Participant
      @sliderpoint
      MemberContributor

Typically I don’t like mods myself (real or virtual).  But if there is interest I will try to add it, but it will be an option that can be turned off in the script (and is usually off by default).

-Mike

cyberpez
      Participant
        @cyberpez

great question, that I think is a couple different questions.

As for Toy Mods,  Color GI and the sort.  Personally I love them.  If I had any real pins I’d trick the heck out of them.  But I know not everyone is like me, so when I build a table (or mod one)  I try to keep that stuff optional.  Let everyone choose their own.  When I release a table I turn everything off by default.  But as soon as I put it on my cab I turn almost everything on, or more recently set things to random so its different every time.  I may never get to own a real pin, so I have to live vicariously though VP..  Build the tables I can only dream of owning.

As for modding a table and calling it your own…  There is definitely a tipping point for me as to what I’d consider worth modding and calling it your own, or worth sending back to the original author as fixes….  and its a wide grey line.   :wacko:    I don’t see much of the latter much any more, but sometimes.  Mostly the community will rally around the table and fix the things that need fixing and that’s great!!  But if someone comes along and changes a couple images and a couple small details, not always so great.  For me I’ve tweaked and modded a few tables that I do not think make it past that grey line, but also not really worth sending back to be added into the original table.  They are just mods for me, and unless I do more with then, they will stay that way :unsure: .

Now, to build from scratch or Mod a table.  I’ve done both, for the most part I’d rather build my own (If I can find enough resources to do so) But sometimes I just like to take whats there and make it my own as its better than what I could come up with in any sort of reasonable time.

Take bttf..  I modded JP’s vp9 table for the fact that it was a table I wanted to work on, and I had no resources (at the time)  His table was a great start and I never would have built it if I didn’t start from that point.

Same with the AFM mod I’m working on.  Its a table I’ve started to scratch build on my own 3 times.  (2 way back in the vp9 days)  They all sucked honestly.  Then I modded JP’s AFM during the vpx beta days..  turned out ok, but not worth an official release…  but dozer took it over and made it worth releasing..  then me being the tinkerer that I am I took his table and built on it.  (it was closer to my vision of what I wanted to do that I was coming up with)  At first it was for me..  adding in different colored flippers.. and tweaking this and that….   but its grown into so much more than that over time.  Just looked and there are around 500 lines of code just for setting options (let alone all the code to actually make them work)  But again, everything is optional and customizable, because I know not everyone wants to play the table the same way as me.  Like when I first shared it with Wrd, his first comment was about making the table start out like a normal table :scratch:   Again, It started as a Mod for me, but its gotten to the point I’d feel guilty keeping it to myself.

Sorry for rambling on.  I do that :P

rothbauerw
          @rothbauerw
          ModeratorContributorMembervip

I don’t remember, but it may have been me that suggested making AFM start out normal.  :whistle: I was excited about the proper table scaling and updated LFHM physics that were added.  It’s a great example of a table that causes me conflict.  Love all the mods you’ve done, but sometimes they overwhelm me.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

cyberpez
          Participant
            @cyberpez

I don’t remember, but it may have been me that suggested making AFM start out normal. :whistle: I was excited about the proper table scaling and updated LFHM physics that were added. It’s a great example of a table that causes me conflict. Love all the mods you’ve done, but sometimes they overwhelm me.

I think he suggested default at startup, you had the idea of using the Manga Save’s to switch between the two.

It does have a lot crammed in..  My mantra has been.. “ok, what else can I add”..  List is getting much shorter now though.  Maybe someday someone will come up with a nice menu that you can toggle only flippers, or ship decals and things..?

Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

Like BorgDogs Pyramid table ? He stole the idea off Loserman76 and gnance it seems.

http://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/pyramid-gottlieb-1978/

HauntFreaks
                @hauntfreaks
                vipContributorMember

Even the picture on apron in back to future is very cool!

EVEN???…. you sumbitch

BorgDog
                Participant
                  @borgdog
                  MemberContributorvip

Like BorgDogs Pyramid table ? He stole the idea off Loserman76 and gnance it seems. http://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/pyramid-gottlieb-1978/

stole? Stole?! STOLE!!  no, I asked for permission to borrow the idea and both kindly agreed. I’ve been to gnance’s house, played his pinballs, enjoyed his conversations, I would never steal from him.  :wacko:

Oh, and it’s on most of my tables.

wrd1972
                  Participant
                    @wrd1972
                    MembervipContributor

I agree that nobody is gonna play a table just for the Mods. But anytime they are added to an otherwise “stock” table, they should absolutely be de-activate-able. I know I went totally crazy with options on Funhouse. But I do think it adds to the “WOW” factor and not necessarily to the play experience. One of my main goals is to wow folks the minute they see one of my tables for the first time.

I also like having Bride of Pinbot show a different random overall appearance each start-up has grown on me. Especially CP’s color lighting mod. Thats just to freaking cool. Hell I wanna add some more color schemes now. I was even asked if I could do a fully naked body to swap out the robots body image on the PF. That along with big tits and matching colored bush. I know you bitches would wear that out. ;)

Only thing I am really torn on is whether to have all options off by default or not. On BOP, many are set to random by default but they are easily switched to default in the startup options menu.

But above all, I want to see very high quality tables first and foremost. Mods should be much lower on the pole IMO.

Lastly, no naked body mods for BOP. LOL

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade Specs: MSI Micro-ATX Z390m MOBO, Core I5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB NVRAM, Nvidia 1660 Super,

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 23" monitors in the backbox , Pinscape w. expansion board, Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support

arconovum
                    Participant
                      @nicholaschristopher
                      MemberContributor

if not naked from factory stock definitely no mods.. I have no interest in seeing the naked borg mod in STTNG.

HauntFreaks
                        @hauntfreaks
                        vipContributorMember

how about a vulkan?

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?