Took the plunge, upgraded to a 4K TV and the result?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    The Loafer
    Participant
      @theloafer

the result is I’m pretty sure I’m never going back.  There’s been a lot of little add-ons done on the pincab that have elevated it to another level.  Improvements such as using a real DMD, contactors, real plunger, nudging board, flashers, all have been very good additions.  However, moving up to 4K really shows off the incredible work the VP authors have done, especially those who’ve been blessed with 4K assets for their tables releases.

Right now, I’m just laying the TV on top of my playfield glass as I have to sort out just exactly how I’m going to connect it to the inside of my pincab (hardware stuff outside of PC components are not my forte).  Still, even though it’s not perfectly placed (the 3D effect would be better with it in the place of the other monitor/farther away from me) it was still blowing away my eyes. On some tables, the detail is pretty awesome and the balls look incredible, with the small scratches really giving the ball an improved 3D feel.  Everything is running smooth at 4K (I have an i7 and a 980 GPU) and as I expected, the lag is lessened with this 4K monitor compared to my old LG (which wasn’t bad). Considering it’s not an IPS panel, I don’t think the viewing angle is horrid either, better than I expected.

Happy times here, if it’s not the best upgrade I’ve done, it’s right up there. On a whim I unplugged it and went back to the older HD monitor and yeesh.  Yes, on many tables it still looks great, especially if we are running super sampling to 4K but there’s nothing like native 4K. The colors POP and everything looks just great.

Happy times!

BorgDog
      Participant
        @borgdog
        MemberContributorvip

So in the title you say TV, and in body you say monitor, which is it? And which one in particular.

Oh, and obviously you don’t have chimes yet because that is the best upgrade ever!

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

The loafer played my cab with chimes maybe he forgot it’s the best thing ever!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

freneticamnesic
            @freneticamnesic
            vipModeratorMember

Fuck yea now you can download all of hanibals 4k mods and reap the rewards

Punch it!

2 users thanked author for this post.
            randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

Lol

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
              for IOS and Android

The Loafer
              Participant
                @theloafer

Fren:  I don’t think my mind could process the awesomeness of those 4K modes, so best stay away!

Sorry BorgDog, yeah it’s a TV. I’ve always considered a TV a “monitor” when plugged into a PC, my bad.  It’s the Samsung NU7100 (at least in Canada, it’s possible it’s a different model number in other countries.

In a perfect world I’d add the chimes, they are awesome and no, I haven’t forgotten LOL. I also want to add those addressable LED’s too.  For the moment I’ll put 4K as the biggest upgrade I’ve done but yeah, I’m wearing rose tinted glasses that would put Elton John to shame.

So I’ve been experimenting and this TV also has a game mode.  Typically, it’s been my experience that “game modes” are not necessary if you are using the “PC” mode (a lot of stuff gets greyed out when in PC mode so I know in this case, I definitely have it set to PC).  My older LG TV didn’t allow game mode while I was in PC mode.   Still, the game mode is available so I set it to that and wow, it seems on this particular TV, it removes even more lag and it’s blowing me away.  This Samsung model is rated very high on the low lag front and now I see why.

Right now I’m playing Jurassic Park (thanks again @Dark and the rest of the team, playing in 4K is a big upgrade, this table is a masterpiece!) and I keep missing shots because I’m hitting the flippers too early.  IE: as with anyone using pincabs, our brain tends to compensate for the lag a bit and the issue of lag on a VP cab usually only bothers me when flipping between the pincab and a real pinball machine.  I mean, I know there is still some lag in play but its a huge improvement on my older LG HD IPS panel anyway.  The “hitting the shots too early” thing happened to me before, when I switched to “exclusive fullscreen”, took my old farty brain just a day to adjust but whatever, I’m a happy camper.  It’s fun rediscovering fantastic gems like JP as the level of detail is incredible.

BorgDog
                Participant
                  @borgdog
                  MemberContributorvip

Nice looking specs on that Samsung, I’m still waiting for a 4k 40″ 120hz refresh monitor to upgrade from my Seiki 4k which looks great but isn’t the best performer.

did you go with the 40″ or 43″? assuming a standard body cab.

The Loafer
                  Participant
                    @theloafer

I have the 43″ model.  I’ve got a super widebody (old Atari Time 2000) cab so room is not an issue, in fact it’s a little too roomy.  What I would have loved is for Samsung to make the 46″ models again but I don’t believe any manufacturer’s make those in 4K.  Too bad, it would be perfect for the widebody VP games like Paragon and I could have had closer to real dimensions to the real pins.  It is what it is, in essence I think I get 1/2″ to 1″  more real estate than the older screens so I’m still happy (I think a 43″ screen is 42.5 inches versus what I think was either 41.5″ or 42″ before so it’s cool).

I considered getting a 120hz monitor but A) those are uber expensive and B) I wonder if that wouldn’t then require another upgrade to CPU i7 @ 4ghz) or GPU (980)?  I figure I didn’t want to find out so 60hz sounds great! LOL

BorgDog
                    Participant
                      @borgdog
                      MemberContributorvip

yeah they don’t make the right sizes any more.  I squeezed a 42″ (41.5″ really) into a standard body cab and really love the bezel-less look as they are routed into the cab sides, but there is no way I’m going to get a 43″ in there so then I would have to go with a 40″ and see more bezel and have a smaller screen.

Cameron
                      Participant
                        @cameron

I have a gaming IPS 32″ 4K in my mid-sized Cabinet (Gutted my Ultrapin and have been rebuilding from scratch). The 4K is incredible!

The Zen stuff is really great in 4K as well. I was at the SFGE expo a month or two ago and they had lots of 1080P machines there from various vendors (e.g. Monster Arcade, PinballFX Branded ones as well). Their displays didn’t come close. I also noticed that with my beefy setup, it ran better in 4K than theirs did in 1080P.

One thing that was kinda cool though on the PinballFX-branded machines was the touch screen. That was nice, but the display quality didn’t have the color gamut, contrast and resolution that mine at home has. I also think I prefer having my display under the glass as well. I imagine that 4K on a 40″+ high-quality display would be really great in a bigger cabinet than I have (might be my next project hahaha). I really need to finish my current one. Gets harder once you can start “testing” games…

The Loafer
                        Participant
                          @theloafer

It’s funny you mention performance.  As stated earlier, I have a very good rig.  However I don’t know why but I’d also swear things are smoother than before. I put this to the fact maybe because of the added pixel count, the ball tends to have less motion blur.  Not sure, maybe the win 10 support for “generic brand x” (which the 4K is falling under) is better than my LG which was actually recognized by Win 10.  Weird but a good weird.

CarnyPriest
                          Participant
                            @carnypriest

I have a kaput Westinghouse 39″ that I need to swap out for 4K. For sizes currently manufactured, I would have to replace with 40″ and there are few manufacturers that produce that size for 4K. It’s either Samsung or bottom the barrel Chinese no-name brands, Avera or Bolva, at half the price. There are many more choices at 43″, but I don’t think I can make one fit my cab. I don’t have a lot of cash at present but I may have to get something soon. Who knows if there will be any 40″ 4K manufactured in 2019? Then, I assume I’ll have to update my GTX660 to GTX1060. Needing TV and graphics card to handle 4K, we are talking some money. *sigh.

LynnInDenver
                            Participant
                              @lynnindenver

I have the 43″ model. I’ve got a super widebody (old Atari Time 2000) cab so room is not an issue, in fact it’s a little too roomy. What I would have loved is for Samsung to make the 46″ models again but I don’t believe any manufacturer’s make those in 4K. Too bad, it would be perfect for the widebody VP games like Paragon and I could have had closer to real dimensions to the real pins. It is what it is, in essence I think I get 1/2″ to 1″ more real estate than the older screens so I’m still happy (I think a 43″ screen is 42.5 inches versus what I think was either 41.5″ or 42″ before so it’s cool).

We had the opportunity to buy an empty Atari super widebody earlier in the year, and missed out because of time and money. I did the math, a brand new 49″ should have fit in there, I’m pretty sure our old 47″ that we’ll be using for our upcoming build would have fit it perfectly without decasing it.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                              Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                              Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

tthurman
                              Participant
                                @tthurman

It’s funny you mention performance. As stated earlier, I have a very good rig. However I don’t know why but I’d also swear things are smoother than before. I put this to the fact maybe because of the added pixel count, the ball tends to have less motion blur. Not sure, maybe the win 10 support for “generic brand x” (which the 4K is falling under) is better than my LG which was actually recognized by Win 10. Weird but a good weird.

If you don’t mind my asking, what’s your rig got under the hood?

Ah, I see this was posted above, moving along…..

“CPU i7 @ 4ghz) or GPU (980)”

The Loafer
                                Participant
                                  @theloafer

I have the 43″ model. I’ve got a super widebody (old Atari Time 2000) cab so room is not an issue, in fact it’s a little too roomy. What I would have loved is for Samsung to make the 46″ models again but I don’t believe any manufacturer’s make those in 4K. Too bad, it would be perfect for the widebody VP games like Paragon and I could have had closer to real dimensions to the real pins. It is what it is, in essence I think I get 1/2″ to 1″ more real estate than the older screens so I’m still happy (I think a 43″ screen is 42.5 inches versus what I think was either 41.5″ or 42″ before so it’s cool).

We had the opportunity to buy an empty Atari super widebody earlier in the year, and missed out because of time and money. I did the math, a brand new 49″ should have fit in there, I’m pretty sure our old 47″ that we’ll be using for our upcoming build would have fit it perfectly without decasing it.

This is true, it’s large enough to shove a 49-possible 50″ in there. However, the ball is then too big and would require resizing every table beyond what I wanted to do.  In saying that, don’t think I haven’t thought about it LOL (and still might, like I have 30 day money back guarantee so….)

The Loafer
                                  Participant
                                    @theloafer

Ok, I thought about it really long and hard, to see if I could put the 50″ equivalent. First of all, the measurements:  I’m a 1/2 inch short on space. I mean the 50″ fits in the cab no problem but the flipper button contacts would touch the case of the TV and that’s not acceptable.  Secondly, because I also run other other pinball software that are not as flexible as VP on the pincab, the size of those tables would look just too weird.  Yes, on another alternate plane of existence, Samsung make a 46″ 4K monitor that is cheaper with even less lag but… this is the universe we are in and presently, I’m going to have to suffer from some room around the TV.  Another alternate possibility would be to procure a Williams widebody sized type cab and just transfer everything in there but I don’t have the money or time to do so, therefore I’m compromising.  Shows I’ve been married for over 30 years eh?

BTW, still super happy with the 4K TV, it’s re-invigorated my love of digital pinball!

wrd1972
                                    Participant
                                      @wrd1972
                                      MembervipContributor

Ive about given up on putting a 43″ in my standard cab.

Like BorgDog, I have the sides of the cabinet routed out for the 40″ I have in there now.  21.5″ on width is the most I can accommodate.

If anyone has done it, please speak up.

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade Specs: MSI Micro-ATX Z390m MOBO, Core I5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB NVRAM, Nvidia 1660 Super,

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 23" monitors in the backbox , Pinscape w. expansion board, Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support

Flupper
                                      Participant
                                        @philippe

Has anybody taken a look at this new 40″  monitor? It is 4k and has 75hz refresh rate, and is

https://iiyama.com/gl_en/products/prolite-le4041uhs-b1/

Or this one? It is older but 100euro cheaper:

https://iiyama.com/gl_en/products/prolite-x4071uhsu-b1/

Thalamus
                                          @thalamus
                                          ContributorMemberModerator

I haven’t no. But, I would recommend looking for monitors that has IPS. I can’t see that it announces that it has so the viewing angle might not be as good as you want it to.

The Loafer
                                          Participant
                                            @theloafer

FYI the tv I got is not ips but the picture from where I see is lit more evenly on my new Samsung 43” non iPS 4K tv than my 1080p ips lg.  Where the non-ips factor plays in here is if you are standing to the sides of the cabinet, Ie below the bottom or top of the horizontal tv.  Ie that means it’s not a big deal for a pincab

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?