Black Knight (Williams 1980)

Viewing 19 posts - 61 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    wrd1972
    Participant
      @wrd1972
      MembervipContributor

This table is an absolute blast to play. Thanks for the update.

Had a killer game going yesterday and heard the “fire alarm” bell sound. Not sure what achievement that was, but I never heard it before. Was it for a free game? Also I reached some achievement where it where it knocked maybe 4 or 5 times. Just experienced stuff I had not before. This game just never gets old.

Ironically, I just added a real Fire-alarm bell to my real Funhouse, that goes off every time the knocker does. Really cool effect and is sure to be a big hit at the Pin show in early March.

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade Specs: MSI Micro-ATX Z390m MOBO, Core I5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB NVRAM, Nvidia 1660 Super,

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 23" monitors in the backbox , Pinscape w. expansion board, Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

Oh. That bell sound is definitely “original”. I remember it really well, but, can’t for the life of me remember why it rings right now.

bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

Thanks! Black Knight never had a knocker, so the bell was for replays. @wrd1972, I would guess you got grand champion and were awarded multiple replays. Strange to hear that it was a knocker sound in that case. I must have missed something in the script.

I love bells in games. Adding it to your Funhouse is a great idea.

STAT
          Participant
            @stefanaustria
            MemberContributor

bord, or someone, do you know, which Font is using for the Words on BG like “Game Over” ?

bord
              @bord

I had a really nice font match for the script lettering but I don’t remember the name. I may still have it on my work computer. I’ll check Monday for you.

STAT
              Participant
                @stefanaustria
                MemberContributor

Maybe it isn’t a Font, but only a designed “Image”, whatever … thank you i.a. …

STAT
                Participant
                  @stefanaustria
                  MemberContributor

Bord, I checked some Videos, I think the Bumper Light is a bit too bright, what do you think?

How can I make it more to “red”, I tried something with Lights 36, but didn’t get it…

bord
                    @bord

Hey @stefanaustria, try lowering the “disable lighting” number or raising the “disable light from below” number on the mesh “bumpercap”. That should do the trick. Let me know if you find a number you think looks better and I’ll take a look.

If you need to change the color you’ll have to adjust the “bumpcapon” image.

JR
                    Participant
                      @jfr1

..really cautious to chime in here but I’m seeing what @stefanaustria is.

bord
                        @bord

..really cautious to chime in here but I’m seeing what @stefanaustria is.

Oh no, do I have a reputation for responding poorly to critique?

True confessions: I hate hate hate building bumpers for VP. Hands down my least favorite part of every project. It is the last thing I do because I can’t stand it. They look the least realistic, there are too many overlapping parts to do a simple projected render, there are multiple lighting states to script, the built in bumper skirt animations look preposterous, bumper physics are less realistic than any other part of vp physics (assuming you’re not using kickers anymore)… Bah.

@jfr1
                        , if this project was being built by me today I wouldn’t have used a VP light at all, just the rendered texture. On the mesh “bumpercap” change “Disable Light from Below” to 1. It seems to me that it retains proper density that way. Report back and I can update the file if you think it is a good change.

JR
                        Participant
                          @jfr1

Ha! Pretty sure you don’t have that reputation. Very much the opposite.

But until I upgrade my system and learn more, I’ll be hesitant to comment on how a table looks or plays. Because if something doesn’t look or play right….it’s usually something I’m doing wrong or a deficiency in my set-up.

Will check out the bumpercap setting!

STAT
                          Participant
                            @stefanaustria
                            MemberContributor

FYI absolutely no critique, i only have seen some Vids, and in some, there is more red Shine, could be also more in “dark rooms”, different Machines (?), pers. Mod. maybe, can’t say … i only want to test different Views, thats all.

Table and Backglass are perfect – thanks in every way to both again !

Edit-Add: Fluppers BK 2000 Bumpers have the “red Shine”, but maybe thats not the “correct one” for BK … hm, or could it be ? …
                            Oh well, my next Weekend will be a BK Weekend, you all did really a great Job, Flupper, bord, Blacksad – love both Tables :)

BorgDog
                            Participant
                              @borgdog
                              MemberContributorvip

Oh no, do I have a reputation for responding poorly to critique?

True confessions: I hate hate hate building bumpers for VP. Hands down my least favorite part of every project. It is the last thing I do because I can’t stand it. They look the least realistic, there are too many overlapping parts to do a simple projected render, there are multiple lighting states to script, the built in bumper skirt animations look preposterous, bumper physics are less realistic than any other part of vp physics (assuming you’re not using kickers anymore)… Bah.

@jfr1, if this project was being built by me today I wouldn’t have used a VP light at all, just the rendered texture. On the mesh “bumpercap” change “Disable Light from Below” to 1. It seems to me that it retains proper density that way. Report back and I can update the file if you think it is a good change.

Hey now, I’m pretty sure I had a hand in the initial creation of those preposterous skirt animations with Roth’s help even! If I actually cared enough I might just be offended!

Well, I will admit that like most things in video game pinball they are somewhat over-exaggerated, and unfortunately now that they are incorporated into VP it’s not so easy to adjust that animation. it doesn’t offend me nearly as much as the built in stand-up target animations that animate parts that don’t move and are much more visible :unsure:   yup, those and the skirts and lots of other things are going back to being primitives and manual animations for those that want to get closer to reality, almost like we are regressing.

Of course the worst is the whole lighting situation, personally, and taking this even more off topic, I don’t feel any more effort should be expended on vpx, it’s time to take it to the next level. unfortunately I have no ability to actually contribute to that and I certainly appreciate all that mainly toxie and fuzzel put into making vp what it is, it just has too many legacy artifacts holding it back.

I think that’s enough rant for this morning, time for more coffee.

bord
                                @bord

@borgdog, I owe you an apology then. I was on my little tantrum about bumpers and swung too wide with no constructive detail. The animations are fine and it was a good addition to the built-in VP elements. My gripe is that the animation plays so slowly it distracts me. I had no business ragging on your work without offering anything constructive. Thanks for understanding.

I agree that VPX should be left as-is at this point. 10.6 is a remarkable accomplishment if you look back at 10.0. At this point the biggest limitation is that so much of a project’s build time is spent subverting VPX’s version of lighting and rendering. Probably best to stop refining something that can’t overcome those problems. Like you, no idea how to help make the next level stuff happen.

I’m off for some coffee, too. I owe you one.

BorgDog
                                Participant
                                  @borgdog
                                  MemberContributorvip

@bord no worries man. :heart: like I say it would be nice if all those little details like animation speed, angle of effect etc were exposed so they could be adjusted to the table builders taste, but I imagine that would all become very cumbersome.

JR
                                  Participant
                                    @jfr1

Had the day free and spent some time with this table.  The bumpercap adjustment did the trick @bord …although I also lowered the disable lighting in half as well.  I play in a very dark environment.   I’m no expert and wonder if these aren’t adjustments that can be done through the camera/light editor that I’ve yet to master.  Schreibi on his Hot Tip thread wisely pointed me away from messing with vp settings and to revisit monitor settings.  That was overdue advice.  But..it does seem that the later vp betas and then the update, brought some lighting issues to some tables.  Mentioned on bord’s Spanish Eyes thread.  But, I have BK looking pretty dang impressive on my end now.  I worked at a pub/restaurant in college that BK showed up in.  We would close up around 2AM….and play this until the sun came up.  I have two friends that worked/pinballed with me then and haven’t seen this.  Next time they are over…this is going to be something very special to show.     … also loaded up @blacksad ‘s bglass.  Wow.

jadflat
                                    Participant
                                      @jadflat

I’m getting an error when running this table

I’m using vpx 10.6, 2 screens plus pin2dmd

bk

EDIT:

actually, it’s working now, thanks for the great table!

bord
                                        @bord

Glad you got it working. Enjoy the game!

JR
                                        Participant
                                          @jfr1

This is embarrassing and a tad funny.  I played this table irl for countless hours when it came out.  And also through the years when I could.  Countless more on vp.  Thanks again bord.  But just tonight I plunged a ball that came back down and ..the sound…I listened for a minute.  It’s a dang horse galloping!  :wacko:   That only took my ears 40 years to hear.             “Those are coconuts!  This is a temperate zone!”

Viewing 19 posts - 61 through 79 (of 79 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?