Fire! VPX Conversion WIP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    DJRobX
      @djrobx
      MemberModerator

Someone asked on FB about great VP9 tables that weren’t in VPX.   UncleWilly & Randr’s awesome Fire! came up as one of them.

Fire-VPX

There is such amazing attention to detail in the lighting for this table, but VP9 isn’t quite able to pull off the intensity modulation, so the table looks like it’s in a smoky room.    So I was curious what it would look like with more modern VPX rendering.

My original goal was just to bring Fire! into VPX to give the lighting gurus more of a head start, but I’m very impressed with how it looks just using UW’s unmodified flashers and lights.

I’ve modernized the script (even added VPX surround).   Each Flasher object had to be re-scaled as VPX doesn’t import the sizes.   I’ve assigned materials and physics values.   I’ve also fixed up some functional issues with the ball going off the table (I think there may be a few left, please test and let me know what you find).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/14bzdr2ntynawbh/Fire%21%20%28Williams%201987%29%20beta%201.zip?dl=0

Attachments:
      8 users thanked author for this post.
      Sven34
      Participant
        @sven34

Looks great. Fantastic  :good:

Pinbolt
        Participant
          @pinbolt

Looks great.

STAT
          Participant
            @stefanaustria
            MemberContributor

OMG, yes, the great FIRE … you are right, really awesome VP9 … boah, i turn on Cab again …

Sliderpoint
            Participant
              @sliderpoint
              MemberContributor

I became a VPX snob. I pretty much got rid of all the older tables, even if there weren’t VPX counterparts. I think there are less than 5 VP 9 tables still on my cab.  This was one.  Great choice!

-Mike

Dark
                @dark
                vipMemberContributor

I became a VPX snob. I pretty much got rid of all the older tables, even if there weren’t VPX counterparts. I think there are less than 5 VP 9 tables still on my cab. This was one. Great choice! -Mike

Yeah I plan to start a new list myself soon from scratch.

3dcreation

TNT2
                Participant
                  @tnt2

Looks great!

Noticed that in desktop view it looks like there are multiple side rails.

DJRobX
                    @djrobx
                    MemberModerator

Looks great! Noticed that in desktop view it looks like there are multiple side rails.

I think thats because I started with the FS version which doesn’t have the borders.

Here’s beta 2 which fixes a switch issue with the left lock, and has the siderails/lockdown.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6mqyy0bzdi3tyu/Fire%21%20%28Williams%201987%29%20beta%202.zip?dl=0

2 users thanked author for this post.
                    Dodger
                    Participant
                      @dodger1980

Looks very cool

randr
                      Keymaster
                        @randr
                        ModeratorMember

Looking good !

********************************************************
                        Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                        for IOS and Android

senseless
                        Participant
                          @senseless

The beta is looking really good! Played the VP9 Fire version during the weekend and this VPX version has a lot more ball control and depth that makes this one even better than the old one :). Good work and looking forward to see the final one :).

Jesperpark
                          Participant
                            @jesperpark

I get to play a real “Fire” once a year, and the real one looks nowhere near as pretty as this one does.  Nice work  :good:

32assassin
                            Participant
                              @32assassin

I know its very easy to import a VP9 table into the VPX editor; assign materials and update parts of the code that crash.

if you do that you probably will not use allot of the features found in VPX.

I imported each object into a VPX template removing objects that where no longer needed such as primitive rubbers and primitive trigger wires.

rebuilt the code and assigned materials.

https://mega.nz/#!kgVBSKLa!MIDiy0Sj4vsekEvQyoFEWPREEiLkkcdr5ZZT5jFY_P0

To Do List

-fully test table I only played one game

-fire animation code needs to be fully tested more accurately  line 91  Set Motor Callback Game Timer reference

– Solenoid controlled lights need to may not be authentic to the manual

-Add GI lights

-add Williams primitive flippers

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
                              https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

DJRobX
                                @djrobx
                                MemberModerator

Yep.   My original goal, as I stated in the original post, was just to get the table to run in VPX with VPX’s improved lighting modulation, to see what it would look like.     I threw in 10.4 surround for fun.   Full rebuild is always going to be better in the long run, but that wasn’t my goal.   Yours is a much nicer base if someone wants to do a completely new VPX lighting job on it, as you have eliminated all of the VP9 cruft.

Most of my time was actually spent trying to figure out the ball-off-table problems and how the left lock switches actually work.   The VP9 table has some hacks there.    If someone has a real fire table, it would be good to find out what happens if there is a ball locked, and another ball enters.   From the PF it looks like SW49 is way far away from SW52/kicker, but the table actually seems to want SW49 to be held down if SW52 is already occupied.   It won’t spit the balls back out if SW49 is just rolled over until it gets to ball hunt mode.

And yes this table desperately needs primitive flippers.  :)

randr
                                Keymaster
                                  @randr
                                  ModeratorMember

I own a real fire

for IOS and Android

DJRobX
                                    @djrobx
                                    MemberModerator

Great.   I knew you helped with resources early on but wasn’t sure if you still had it.

FirePFQuestion

So if you get a ball in the left lock, and hit another ball into the same area (via the table, not via the ramp) what happens?      There’s a switch (49) that’s where the green circle is.     Most tables are placing the kickout kicker all the way down where the red circle is.

What I’ve observed is that the ROM will not kick the balls out if you just roll over switch 49.    So if you do manage to get a ball in there, the table gets stuck and you have to wait for it to ball hunt.   It will only eject them if 49 is held down.   This makes me suspect that the locked ball actually rests much higher up in that channel.      And from what I see it kicks both balls out if you do hold down 49 long enough.    Is that what actually happens?

No video I can find really shows this behavior because the whole mechanism hidden under the toy, and that shot is hard to make.

Attachments:
                                    randr
                                    Keymaster
                                      @randr
                                      ModeratorMember

Just looked and if a ball is locked and another gets on ramp heading towards lock it kicks first locked ball out by seeing switch 37 triggered on ramp. Edit…Looks like it does it with sw36 too which is located opposite center of same ramp

here is switch 37

583BE99A-C663-496F-98C5-899CCD715C31

for IOS and Android

randr
                                      Keymaster
                                        @randr
                                        ModeratorMember

Here is a really bad attempt at a Video the wife is not around so tough to do one handed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oi8opvpmczaque/Video%20Sep%2030%2C%209%2036%2017%20PM.mov?dl=0

for IOS and Android

bord
                                          @bord
                                          MembervipContributorModerator

wife is not around so tough to do one handed

PREACH

Sliderpoint
                                          Participant
                                            @sliderpoint
                                            MemberContributor

wife is not around so tough to do one handed

PREACH

LMAO!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 48 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?