Moulin Rouge (Williams 1965) restoration

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    JR
    Participant
      @jfr1
      “I’ll do a separate post on the virtues of this thing one of these days.”    and share design drawings?
      I see Jones Plugs still hooked up.  You left some of the under-guts attached.  Hm.

bord
        @bord
        MembervipContributorModerator

to flatten those raised post areas I use 2 ball peen hammers, one with the peen /round side on the raised part then smack/tap it with the other. I do my best to put a support directly under it but not always possible, usually just a chunk of wood cut to the length to fit. unfortunately you do usually lose some paint at the same time, but mostly under the post.

nice to see it out in the sunshine… that rotisserie looks strangely familiar…

@borgdog
        , how aggressively do you pound these down? I feel like I’m really going to have to wail on them to get them flush. Banging away and barely making a difference so far.

BorgDog
        Participant
          @borgdog
          MemberContributorvip

I’ve had to hit some of them fairly hard, but definitely works better with something supporting the back side.  They probably had better plywood back in Moulin Rouge days.

bord
            @bord

Great. Thanks for the reply. Support on the back side is the only way I can get good results. Sucks to lose playfield paint this way but I don’t see any other way around it.

bord
              @bord

And then the pandemic happened.

IMG_20200624_151024a

Finally got to revisit this project a bit this week and evaluate the best ways to clean. In the image above you can see that there is staining of some kind all over the top of the playfield. It is gummy and seems to be either congealed top coat or a paint layer that wasn’t properly applied. The top bumper rings are the only really place where the paint is unstable. To get the purple (which is different than the other purple on the rest of the game) it seems they stacked a bunch of color layers, some of which weren’t necessary to get the final color. This paint more or less wipes off with Novus 2 and has all sorts of crud embedded in it.

IMG_20200624_150348comp

The rest of the cleanup has been very successful so far (left cleaned, right as-is).

IMG_20200624_150305comp

IMG_20200624_150335

The staining comes up nicely with a few passes of Novus 2. Thankfully overall the paint is holding up and is still very vibrant.

IMG_20200624_150400comp

I will scan the playfield before moving on to Magic Eraser and alcohol for the ball swirls. At a normal viewing distance they aren’t bad at all. Here is where you have to decide how obsessive about things you’re going to be. I could stop now, touch up the bare spots and clear coat this thing and have a really nice example of the game. OR I could get crazy on the thing and try to dig out the ball swirls and hit up every small pitted area with a very fine brush. Decisions, decisions…

IMG_20200624_150400

LynnInDenver
              Participant
                @lynnindenver

I’m suspecting that the layers of unstable paint was a badly done attempt at touching it up.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

JR
                Participant
                  @jfr1

“I’m suspecting that the layers of unstable paint was a badly done attempt at touching it up.”      hmph – – what would Toulouse have to say about that!!  Glad you’re back working on this bord!

bord
                    @bord

This project is in mothballs now until the kids are back in school. Too many summer projects and adventures ahead. Fortunately I’ve been able to make a very good assessment of what the next steps are (lots of Magic Eraser and patience) and have also made a good 600dpi backup of the art in case I make any mistakes.

It will be some time until this becomes a VP project (or VPE project, I hope I hope I hope) so if anyone wants the scanned assets to build this out just let me know.

MR_playfield scan

scan

randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

Summer is short enjoy it because we all know how long winter is. Let’s hope school actually starts back up for kids this fall

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                      for IOS and Android

bord
                        @bord

Time to start working on this again. I spent untold hours with alcohol and magic eraser trying to get rid of ball swirls. Most came out nicely, others are there forever.

I recreated the missing art in Photoshop by overlaying some photos I found online. This will at least give me something to work from when painting.

repair

Thalamus
                          @thalamus
                          ContributorMemberModerator

A little bit worn has its charm too. So, take a break – only evaluate it every time you open the file. If you start to fix something and it improves, you tend to notice new things more easily than starting fresh. That is at least what I’ve concluded with here. My standards are not as high as yours though. That I do know for a fact ;)

bord
                            @bord

A little bit worn has its charm too. So, take a break – only evaluate it every time you open the file. If you start to fix something and it improves, you tend to notice new things more easily than starting fresh. That is at least what I’ve concluded with here. My standards are not as high as yours though. That I do know for a fact ;)

That’s true. I rarely do major cleanup on worn playfields for VP. Some wear and tear is the sign of a well-loved game, right?

In the case of Moulin Rouge I was losing art and was going to continue losing art at a fast rate so I needed to do something. If the whole pf was toasted I’d be less particular but everything but those isolated wear spots is in really good shape… so I’m going to be very particular. B-)

JR
                            Participant
                              @jfr1

I’d forgotten about this project!

JR
                              Participant
                                @jfr1

Wait, does that mean summer’s over?  Rats.  And it’s been going so swell.  Been looking for another EM project on this end.  Spotted a playable Zale for sale for $800 in the Asheville area – 9 hour drive…it was gone in a few minutes.  But I might have done that!  Looking forward to some inspiration bord!

cyberpez
                                Participant
                                  @cyberpez

I missed this before, enjoy the restore!!

I love close up pics of playfield.  I find non razor sharp lines so satisfying..  almost like they were painted or something ;-)

bord
                                    @bord

I find non razor sharp lines so satisfying.. almost like they were painted or something ;-)

Yes! You of all people are the posterchild for excellence in art reproduction.

Maintaining linework is so important. I hate seeing how CPR makes repro plastics and playfields – just blast the things with auto vector and release.  So sad: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-playfield-reproductions-coming

It is interesting that close up even the screen printing’s resolution breaks down. There is line aliasing on my 1965 playfield!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                    bord
                                      @bord

Bought an hvlp spray gun and cleaned up the light panel, at least the areas with carbon from the lamps.

BEFORE

IMG_20200919_113546before

AFTER

IMG_20200919_134715after

bord
                                        @bord

Finally sanded all the cabinet paint away. Nowhere to go from here but up.

PXL_20201002_181800278

PXL_20201002_181811236

Fiberglass resin corner came out very nice.

PXL_20201002_220419331

PXL_20201002_220611091.MP

JR
                                        Participant
                                          @jfr1

Now THAT’S a mask.  How do you like the new sprayer?  I’ve been eyeing the cheap ones at Harbor Freight.  Also glad to see I’m not the only one that likes doing intricate work in the back yard!

20180620_20553820180619_185839

bord
                                            @bord

Who needs a workshop when you have the great outdoors?

New sprayer is great. It’s just the Harbor Freight one with a gun-side regulator. Already shot quite a bit of latex and a can of poly. Dreamed up all sorts of reasons to use it.

Am I seeing a full Spin a Card cabinet repaint? Where’s your process thread!? I want details!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 55 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?