Sea Ray (Bally 1971)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Thalamus
      @thalamus
      ContributorMemberModerator

Looks really good !! :good:

Scottacus
      Participant
        @scottacus
        MembervipContributor

There is no DOF entry for Sea Ray so just for grins I edited my DOF ini files last night to get my machine to respond to DOF.   Each table has its own entry under its ROM name with commas separating individual outputs and forward slashes between E Code entries for each item on that output.  The outputs go in order (1 – 128) as you set them up under port assignments with any RGB outputs that have nothing assigned to them set to 0,0,0.

Pretty cool with the chime unit, contactors and lighting firing away during play.  Does anyone know what format of settings to send to Arngrim or do you just ask him to set up a blank entry for SeaRay_1971?

BorgDog
        Participant
          @borgdog
          MemberContributorvip

I’ve usually put what I can in the script and sent the table to arngrim and he took care of the config site and usually adds or fixes something in the script I missed.  Looking forward to playing this.

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

Sound like a good idea to pass it through Arngrim first. Then we can lean back and don’t have to download it twice … Make sure it goes through the QC of Hauntfreaks as well B-)

HauntFreaks
              @hauntfreaks
              vipContributorMember

scott you are really doing an awesome job on this… more detail then I believe i would have added  :good:

Scottacus
              Participant
                @scottacus
                MembervipContributor

Thanks guys!  It will be some time before this table will be ready to be released, there is still a lot to do.

The table is pretty challenging to play.  The guy who owns the table and took the photos for me said that the table side drains pretty easily and that it is dangerous to shoot up the middle for the bonus unless the center post is up and he’s right about both of those.  The fact that I’m getting table play that matches his comments make me think that the geometry is pretty close to the original.  All I had to work off of was a drawing of the playfield from the manual and I doubt that it is exactly like the released tables.

3 users thanked author for this post.
                Scottacus
                Participant
                  @scottacus
                  MembervipContributor

After months of inactivity (working on other projects) I’m back working on Sea Ray.  I found a schematic for the machine online and from that I was able to determine that the rule set that the guy who owns the machine sent me is wrong.  He had 17 different possible settings for the random bubble feature but the schematic showed that the machine only has 10 contacts on its wheel so I made changes to the code to fix this.

After spending time with Loserman’s and BorgDogs’s EM tables I decided that the way that they display high scores is better than the one that I wrote so I made a new high score system that incorporates parts of both Loserman and Borgdog’s methods.  My new high score has a piece of tape rather than a post it note.  This allows more of the apron to be seen.  I set up the system to use the same arcane VP file for saving as before but set it up so that five high scores and their associated initials can be displayed.  When the table is inactive the tape scrolls through the high scores and initials but once a game starts it focuses on the top score.  The system uses a bubble sort to determine the order of player scores so that it can look from the highest player score to the lowest so that only the scores that fall into the high scores get entered.  For example if in a four player game three of the scores are higher than the lowest score, only the largest of the player scores get entered.  The save also records the user’s menu choices for things like free play, replay vs extra ball, 3 vs 5 ball and show/hide ball shadows.

I also really like the left flipper menu system that Loserman and Borgdog use so I wrote code to do that and shamelessly copied Borgdog’s new round backdrop design for the menu because I think that looks really cool.  My menu is a little different from the others because it only shows the current option and moves through those options with the left flipper rather than moving a cursor down a list with the left flipper.  I think that using a menu rather than having the end users edit the script is a more user friendly way to go.

I also copied the ball control subroutine and put it into the tables.  This subroutine is fricken awesome and will save hours of testing trying to get specific game functions activated!

A few other bugs in the code were squished (thanks to the ball control subroutine) and I am now working on the artwork for the back glass.  Here is a png of the vector art that I spent the last few days tracing in Inkscape.

Sea-Ray-Backglass

I have made these same updates to my other three tables (Capersville, OXO and Blank EM Table) and will be releasing those updated tables in the near future.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  Drybonz
                  Participant
                    @drybonz

Looking really good!

randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

Unreal the quality and time spent on these truly appreciated

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                      for IOS and Android

bord
                        @bord
                        MembervipContributorModerator

So glad to see this project progressing. Keep up the good work!

Scottacus
                        Participant
                          @scottacus
                          MembervipContributor

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention that I also adopted Borgdog and Loserman’s style of using blank spaces for the instruction and pricing cards.  There are  ramps in those areas that have different images associated with them to reflect changes made in the option menu subroutine so that the cards on the table match the choices made by the player for free/coin, 3/5 balls and replay/extra ball options.  I guess you could say that I have “assimilated” the BorgDog style of table design because after all resistance is futile and frankly it is a better way of doing this!

Scottacus
                          Participant
                            @scottacus
                            MembervipContributor

Here is a screenshot of the playfield without apron to show the scoring tape and the options menu as well as the misplaced too high (so I can see them on my laptop) instruction and coin cards.

playfield

And here is the backglass thus far with some fixes needed like the credits going to 50 and adding boxes around the individual score reels.  I didn’t like the spot lighting from the B2s editor so I brightened and added an outer glow to the “Bally”, “Sea Ray” and Divers  in Photoshop and used lighting snippets for all of the rest of the lighting (Match, Can Play, Player Up, Tilt, Shoot Again…)

backglass

HauntFreaks
                              @hauntfreaks
                              vipContributorMember

looks great man….
                              remember there are assorted kickers in VPX now…

bord
                                @bord

Love it. Gotta finish building my Pinscape chime board for this thing.

Scottacus
                                Participant
                                  @scottacus
                                  MembervipContributor

Thanks HauntFreaks, I need to learn more about those so that I can update those on this and the other three tables.  I still have a couple of bugs that I need to figure out too so it will be a bit before the non-artwork part of the table is completely done if such a state really exists.

bord
                                    @bord

looks great man…. remember there are assorted kickers in VPX now…

Visually there shouldn’t be a kicker cup there on a Sea Ray, though I suppose it will be covered by a plastic. It should be a metal slingshot arm that is triggered by the rollover. (I’ve been studying my Bally EMs lately for a project)

Scottacus
                                    Participant
                                      @scottacus
                                      MembervipContributor

Bord can you show me what that is?

bord
                                        @bord

searaystripped

I should have clarified I’m only referencing the kicker on the right.

This is the only stripped photo I could find, but it looks just like one of the slingshot arms.

I’m working on a Bally from 1972 with a similar-functioning kicker behind the plastic but by that point they used a coil mounted under there to kick it up.

Attachments:
                                        1 user thanked author for this post.
                                        BorgDog
                                        Participant
                                          @borgdog
                                          MemberContributorvip

That’s pretty similar to the one on the upper left of Neptune I just put out.  I ended up using a plunger object there to do the kicking and animated the kickarm like the slings, plunger was sliderpoint’s idea.

Scottacus
                                          Participant
                                            @scottacus
                                            MembervipContributor

Thanks BordDog mind if I steal that?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 55 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?