The Cuphead Cup Tournament!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Scottacus
    Participant
      @scottacus
      MembervipContributor

“It’s a swell day for a big tournament!”

Welcome to the Cuphead Cup challenge, from now until midnight CST October 4th you have to opportunity to take part in a tournament to celebrate the release of the new “Cuphead Pro” special “Perdition Edition” table.   The winner of the tournament will receive the very spiffy “Cuphead Cup” as pictured here.

20200915_191244

The tournament is open to all VPinball forum members and you can participate by posting your high score here on this post.  The rules are that you MUST use the new Cuphead Pro table found here:

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/cuphead-pro-d-goblett-co-2020/

DO NOT use the old table with 3″ flippers or you will score 100’s of thousands of points higher than anyone else.  This new table is “challenging” and addictive so have fun with it.

The settings for the table must be:

• Five ball
      • 2″ flippers 
      • do not “nudge the table in such a way that would get you kicked out of the Pinball Hall of Fame.” (this one is on the honor system).

When October 4th rolls around (midnight CST)  the tournament will end and I’ll PM the winner to get their mailing address and I’ll ship them the fabulous trophy.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      bord
        @bord
        MembervipContributorModerator

Swell trophy! I’ll be playing along but won’t compete due to having an advance copy of the game. HOWEVER my kids will be competing. :good:

JR
        Participant
          @jfr1

ezgif.com-resize (1)

JR
          Participant
            @jfr1

Whoops, that gif didn’t resize as small as I’d wanted.  This is an amazing update!  And that Cup Cup is …well, I need it.  Did you fabricate that Scottacus??  That is over the top!!  Too bad I suck at pinball.  But as the only one out here in the audience that has two pairs of Cuphead socks, I should get spotted a few points.

dazzadasha
            Participant
              @dazzadasha

Thanks so much. Love Cuphead and this able is phenomenal. Quick question re tourney. How can you tell if I cheat (move flippers, invisible walls etc). Its a great community and I doubt it will happen, just curious.

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

@dazzadasha : Always. Visual pinball tournaments will rely upon trust between the competitors. I used to play a few games on more or less a weekly basis over at vpf where we had such a trust system and I felt it was ok until they re-introduced the vp9 nudge back to vpx. Personally, I have a physical tilt bob in my cab, it is set very close to a tight set real machine. This, because I don’t want my friends shaking the cab so much that parts starts to fly inside. (My PSU, is just laying on its side in between the wall and the motherboard, pr. example). When I’ve got friends over, we’re seldom playing the cab sober. Unfortunately, I’ve never been able to tune the vpx nudge to be as effective as it is in real life. On a real machine you can influence the ball already going in between the flippers ever so slightly even if it doesn’t hit anything. In vpx, you have to time the nudge to an object to get somewhat natural effect. If you read the “rules” again, it isn’t hard really to understand. Don’t enable VP9 nudge, and if you shake the machine harder than on a tightly set machine in the wild, without tilting, well, then you are cheating. Of course, you should not change anything on the table except pov until the tournament time is over.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Scottacus
                Participant
                  @scottacus
                  MembervipContributor

When Onevox, Bord and I were working on Cuphead there would be down days where I’d send off code and then the graphics wizards would work away on, well graphics stuff (shows how much I know about that) so I’d have some down time.  I got to looking around on thingiverse and found this cool cuphead stl file so I 3D printed it to see how it looks when printed and it turned out great.  I have some really thick gold paint that hides print lines well so I painted it gold and thought that this could make a nice trophy top.  I asked Bord for some stls of a “CH” and a name plate and once printed I cut up some scrap black walnut and made the trophy.

I figured that having a kickoff tourney would entice more people to try out the table more than once or twice because after playing a couple hundred games on it I think it is really swell.  So swell that I’m learning about MPF and OPP to perhaps build a home brew of it.  Yeah that swell.

BTW there is no cap on how many times you play the table for the tourney, just post those high scores here.

BrandonLaw
                  Participant
                    @brandonlaw

I’m in!

My showings will be near the bottom even if I was using the 3 inchers (that’s what she said?) but here goes nothin’.  I hope this shows folks how truly fun this table is.

Here is a neat Real DMD image I use when the game is going if anyone is interested: (Sized correctly for real DMD users)

Cuphead (Orig 2019)

"Fuck this game. I love it."

Tom
                    Participant
                      @armyaviation
                      MemberContributor

I looked over this table before because I didn’t understand what cuphead was.  Just watched a video and it’s going on the cab.  See you boys in the combat zone!!

bord
                        @bord

PXL_20200927_003204925

PXL_20200927_003012046.MP

In progress.

Scottacus
                        Participant
                          @scottacus
                          MembervipContributor

My money is on the little guy, he looks so intense.  Tom, you better bring your A game.

Onevox
                          Participant
                            @rooster

@bord I haven’t seen that rig. So it’s a controller that looks and feels like a real pin and elements are triggered by DOF? Flippers too,  or are they direct wired?

Onevox

bord
                              @bord

@bord I haven’t seen that rig. So it’s a controller that looks and feels like a real pin and elements are triggered by DOF? Flippers too, or are they direct wired?

Yeah, it’s a controller with pinball mechs for DOF. Slings, bumpers, flippers visibly fire. It was a good solution to not having room for a full size cab.

bord
                                @bord

PXL_20200927_213204384

Another has entered the tourney.

Scottacus
                                Participant
                                  @scottacus
                                  MembervipContributor

Nice!

robertms
                                  Participant
                                    @mophead

These short flippers are killing me! Nothing is more frustrating than making the SOUL bonus multiplier then losing the ball SDTM with zero bonus earned, arrrrgh… Awesome game, going back for more.

Scottacus
                                    Participant
                                      @scottacus
                                      MembervipContributor

Every time I play the table the old Billy Preston song goes through my head.  “Nothin’ from nothin’ leaves nothin’, and you’ve gotta have somethin’…”  If you don’t have any Soul Contracts then the 3x multiplier leaves nothin’…

On this table you have to take chances.  To get the bonus multipliers the shot up the left lane to the top is hard to hit and sniping off CUP MUG DT’s plays havoc with center drains.  That’s what makes this table great in my opinion!

bord
                                        @bord

Getting the ball under control and backhanding the drops really helps. The ball’s return angle is less dangerous.

Scottacus
                                        Participant
                                          @scottacus
                                          MembervipContributor

Yes, once you get the ball under control, sniping off the C and N with backhands is pretty safe, the M and P, not so much so.

Another thing that I love about this table’s layout is that anything coming from the top of the table will divert to a flipper or sling.  No cheap center drains that you can’t do anything about.  The table is really well tuned that way, good job @Onevox.

Rajo Joey
                                          Participant
                                            @joey2001

Nobody show his score? B-)

I think, you’re all waiting till the last day to post it. So I begin with my HS. Now it’s your turn. :mail:

20200928_142334

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 77 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?