What causes stutter in the VPX tables?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
      @osujd

Hi Guys,

This isn’t the normal call for help just a general inquiry.  I have a pretty souped up computer that runs most tables really well.  However some of the really detailed tables start to stutter on multi ball or other cpu/gpu heavy events.  In general what makes these table so heavy for the cpu or gpu.  Is it a matter of polygon count?  The reason I ask is I have access to simplifying tools through work and if its an avenue worth pursuing I can try my hand at simplifying the 3d models.  I might be all wet on this and the reason things bog down is lighting, shadows, reflections or other event that I can’t help much simplifying.  I figured you authors no way more about this then a mortal like me and i was hoping to get your thoughts?

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Million $$ question! Sometimes it’s non optimized tables or primitives set to collidable or the backglass is culprit! younshould be able to make every table stutter free with proper settings in vp video preferences I would think depending on your hardware of coarse. List the tables you have stutter on and a screen of your video preferences in vp

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

DJRobX
          @djrobx
          MemberModerator

For me the stutter culprit is almost always the DirectB2s file.   I take a screen grab of it to get a still image so PinballX can leave it up while I play, and then I delete the DirectB2S file.

Hopefully the VP devs can make some optimizations too.  It seems like we need an awful lot of hardware to make a decent looking pinball table.   :)

Josh
          Participant
            @osujd

I went through all of the tables I have…..I mostly just play VPX tables.  I really don’t experience that much stutter since moving from Win 7 to Win 10.  I still have some but it is mostly experienced during multiball events.  Anyways I have put together some data on this but it isn’t telling much of a story.  I think Polygon count may have something to do with the stutter I am seeing but there are outlying tables that I would think would run smoothly  (see back to the future).

Attachments:
            randr
            Keymaster
              @randr
              ModeratorMember

interesting…

my settings are way different then yours and have no stutter.

FXAA(post-processed Anti-Aliasing) i have as STANDARD

Dont stretch ball checked

ambient Occlusion checked

FPS Limiter/Vsync 1

Maximum pre-rendered frames 0 (this i find makes big difference on my setup)

force Anisotropic Texture Filtering (quality) is checked

Max Texture dimension(for low-end gfx boards) unlimited

Elements detail level all way to right

for my setup this works great

for IOS and Android

BorgDog
              Participant
                @borgdog
                MemberContributorvip

that brute-force 4x Anti-Aliasing you have turned on Josh is a huge ..nay HUGE suck of resources.  Try it with that turned off, I can’t tell a visual difference between that and Quality on my setup

1 user thanked author for this post.
                StevOz
                Participant
                  @stevoz

that brute-force 4x Anti-Aliasing you have turned on Josh is a huge ..nay HUGE suck of resources. Try it with that turned off, I can’t tell a visual difference between that and Quality on my setup

Nice tip BD, I did have that option checked, though after some testing without there is no visual difference and a near x2 increase in FPS, without it, when I disable frame sync. I can and have run the tables with it enabled here without stutter, that said I use vsync on at 1 or 60FPS here and there is a definite improvement in flipper feel response times, with that setting disabled.

Drybonz
                  Participant
                    @drybonz

I have found that turning off AA in the VP editor options and then turning it on through the Nvidia control panel gives me a performance boost.  I’m not sure why that is… maybe the control panel handles it better… but it’s worth a shot.

randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

anything help josh?

for IOS and Android

Josh
                      Participant
                        @osujd

So I did some testing last night….Changing my FXAA to standard seemed to fix all the issues I was see.  It almost doubled my framerate on all of the tables.  I also changed my element detail level to unlimited, which seems to have broken TWD table, so I will change it back when I use that table.  The 4X brute AA was also causing a framerate dip. This might be in my head but I found text on the playfield looked worse when I had this option off.  Still have some testing to do but thanks for the suggestions guys.

markrock76
                        Participant
                          @markrock76

The 4xAA for me makes text look way better.  I think it makes every aspect of the table look way better but I can only run it successfully on some tables without stutter issues.  Can someone chime in and tell me what causes the 4xAA to have the most fps impact.  Primitives?  Every image file size?  or what?

TerryRed
                            @terryred
                            MemberContributorModerator

For me, the stutter was caused by running in windowed fullscreen in VPX.

Setting up VP10 beta 2 with exclusive fullscreen with vsync enabled in VPX (NVidia control panel set to defaults for all settings for VPX) is what eliminated ALL stuttering in VPX. There are other fixes to go along with that method (if you are using DB2s files), but that’s what did it for me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?