Air Aces (Bally 1975)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    JR
    Participant
      @jfr1

Wish the saucers on my real EM looked as good as what you did with Aces!

Thanks again Bord and team!

20190430_200944

Rajo Joey
      Participant
        @joey2001

Very good update. Thanks for that.:-D

bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

20190430_200944

@jfr1
          , nice looking cab!

If you ever strip down the top side of your Spin A Card for maintenance LMK. I’d love to get a good PF scan of that for a VPX build.

STAT
          Participant
            @stefanaustria
            MemberContributor

bord, you really want to build a new VPX ? https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/spin-a-card-gottlieb-1969/

bord
              @bord

bord, you really want to build a new VPX ?

Well, I have a thing for scanned resources both visually and for alignment. The existing table is very nice but at very least a mod…

JR
              Participant
                @jfr1

Hey Bord,

I acquired SaC  last summer from my brother in law.  It had sat unused in their damp basement for 15 years and was headed to the curb.  I was going to use it for my VP build…until I plugged it into a Variac  and slowly turned it back on – – and it still worked!  So last summer was spent cleaning and general maintenance and rebuilding the back box.  Stepper units are a hoot.  So that put off my VP build until the fall.  It could for sure use a tear down but as long as it’s still playable I’ll probably live with it the way it is.  I’m actually surprised at how much I enjoy playing it.  If I ever tear it apart I’ll be sure to do some scanning.

Thanks again to you and everyone else here for all the time and work you put in!!

JR
                Participant
                  @jfr1

…and thanks about the cab.  It’s nowhere near as nice as most of the builds I see here, but has brought hours of fun.  ..and I managed to cobble it together for a reasonable cost.

Ha…hard to make out in my pic above, but that’s randr on my monitor discussing 3 Angels on Youtube.

JR
                  Participant
                    @jfr1

Hmmm…that’s a little creepy now that I think about it.  At least it wasn’t Todd Tuckey.

rothbauerw
                      @rothbauerw
                      ModeratorContributorMembervip

Ha…hard to make out in my pic above, but that’s randr on my monitor discussing 3 Angels on Youtube.

I was wondering who that was on the monitor. Randr will be pissed I didn’t recognize him!

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

Mark70
                      Participant
                        @mark70

Thanks for the update, very nice.

outhere
                          @outhere
                          MemberContributorvipModerator

@bord Thanks for Another nice job on an EM pinball..

There appears to be no DOF for the Drop target reset

absurdisarm
                          Participant
                            @absurdisarm

Nice! Improvement on an already amazing table. Flipper strength is just right. True to real em machines. Thanks!

Thalamus
                              @thalamus
                              ContributorMemberModerator

Just played the table with the promised beers. And guys. This is really a nice upgrade to the table. It looks stunning. Plays like I in my mind this table would. But, of course since I’ve never have tried it. I can’t be too sure. I love it. There is one thing I’m going to do to it and that is to increase the ball rolling sound just a bit. Being an EM with very little other sound, I expect that you will hear the ball rolling a bit more than we do here.

Very nice guys ! Thanks again !

Thalamus
                                @thalamus
                                ContributorMemberModerator

Oh, and to @jfr1 (JR). I don’t know. But, I would really considering experimenting a bit with *.res files for EM’s. Your back glass looks a bit wide to me and what I’ve done to all my Loserman tables is to generate a file named exactly the same as the table with a *.res extention.
                                It contains my preferred db2s “square” looking backglass. Maybe it is not for you. But, I’m sure that many haven’t really explored this option so here it goes. Example table is 300 – but, honestly the *.res file has the same value for all.

300 (Gottlieb 1975).res contains this :

My B2STablesettings.xml contains this entry for 300 :

<Gottlieb300_1975>
                                    <HideGrill>2</HideGrill>
                                    <HideB2SDMD>0</HideB2SDMD>
                                    <HideDMD>2</HideDMD>
                                    <LampsSkipFrames>1</LampsSkipFrames>
                                    <SolenoidsSkipFrames>3</SolenoidsSkipFrames>
                                    <GIStringsSkipFrames>3</GIStringsSkipFrames>
                                    <StartAsEXE>1</StartAsEXE>
                                    <StartBackground>1</StartBackground>
                                    <Animations />
                                  </Gottlieb300_1975>

It is important that you get the “gamename” – Gottlieb300_1975 – right – cgamename in the script. Can’t remember if there is anything else that needs to be done. Don’t think there is. Ah. Yes, a fairly new db2s server of course. But, nowadays most should have.

outhere
                                  @outhere
                                  MemberContributorvipModerator

This back glass also comes with the file @thalamus is referring to and more  info
                                  https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=37663

This backglass server is the minimum
                                  https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=12553

This backglass server is the latest version
                                  https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=41903#entry424768

JR
                                  Participant
                                    @jfr1

Hey now!  Just reading this.  Wow, thanks.

I started building this cab to 80’s Bally specs because the tables I thought I’d end up playing the most were Fathom, Centaur etc.  I quickly learned before it was complete that I needed to re-think things.  I chopped 3″ off the BG height (too tall next to my Gottlieb) and added the 3rd monitor for DMD.  I did not think I would be so fascinated with the older EM’s but….of course now am.  So I want to play them all!  Hence my contemplating a wedgehead build like Borg’s just for the EM’s.  But I don’t see that happening any time soon.  So thanks so much for these suggestions Thalamus and outhere.  I really do owe you all a bunch of beers.

bord
                                      @bord

Yeah, the Borgdog wedgehead is the high water mark for cab builds. So incredible.

Incorrect backglass aspect ratios always irk me so sinking part of the screen below the pf is genius.

BorgDog
                                      Participant
                                        @borgdog
                                        MemberContributorvip

Thanks for the kind words @bord it’s definitely fun and was fun to build.  I think it actually works pretty well for dmd and newer tables as well, a little narrow depending on the db2s, but if I wanted I could do as @thalamus describes to squish it a little vertically.

Oh, and Air Aces is a lot of fun!

IMG_20190503_180238739

JR
                                        Participant
                                          @jfr1

Borgdog’s wedgehead and the build thread are amazing.  AFM looks really good!!…could get used to that.  Hm.

Ever since I saw a pic on page 23 of the Let’s See Pics of Gamerooms on Pinside where someone had a VP in their shot…and I was like – what is this?? ..I’ve been traveling down this rabbit hole.  I mentioned it somewhere here before, in the last year or so I feel like I’ve been taking an on-line college course for free!  And all you professor’s doing all this work pro bono for this community is mind boggling.

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

Best part is it looks “normal” in a line up! Very important detail if you have more then the digital pin in collection.

********************************************************
                                            Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                            for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 72 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?