Daily video WIP for Seawitch build [COMPLETE]

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Thalamus
      @thalamus
      ContributorMemberModerator

As Bord, had to see it all once started. Great fun !

robertms
      Participant
        @mophead

@bord thanks for making these videos and bringing us into your creative process, I have a whole new appreciation for what you do. Sadly these videos make it more clear than ever blender is completely out of my realm of capabilities.. It is amazing how your craft has evolved since the early days of VPX, truly inspiring. Thanks again for all you do, super jealous :rose:

bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

@mophead, don’t give up. There are great ways to work in Blender and VP together that aren’t this comprehensive. It took me three years of daily Blender practice to get here and I still have a ton to learn.

bord
            @bord

Pt7 – Detailing the inserts

Sorry for the length on this one. I didn’t want to wait another day to get past the inserts so I did the text and Star inserts in the same section. I’m also not good with the shrink/fatten tool so I fumble around quite a bit.

Big excitement tomorrow as we start adding elements to the playfield. ;-)

TerryRed
              @terryred
              MemberContributorModerator

If anything… this process shows just how extremely vital it is to have a good playfield scan to start with.

bord
                @bord

Pt8 Modeling a faceted post

BorgDog
                Participant
                  @borgdog
                  MemberContributorvip

Pt7 – Detailing the inserts
                  Sorry for the length on this one. I didn’t want to wait another day to get past the inserts so I did the text and Star inserts in the same section. I’m also not good with the shrink/fatten tool so I fumble around quite a bit.

Big excitement tomorrow as we start adding elements to the playfield. ;-)

oh thank gawd you rotated that second star insert, it was going to drive me nuts otherwise!  I’ll give you a pass on leaving the first one perfectly vertical ;-)   Just amazing work, now my question is where did the nice model of the star come from, you make that too?

bord
                    @bord

oh thank gawd you rotated that second star insert, it was going to drive me nuts otherwise! I’ll give you a pass on leaving the first one perfectly vertical ;-) Just amazing work, now my question is where did the nice model of the star come from, you make that too?

I think that model is from the pinball makers site https://pinballmakers.com/wiki/images/8/89/Rollover_C-9901.zip. They have a lot of stuff I could have grabbed for this project but it isn’t optimized for VP. In other words it is modeled too nicely. Would eat up too much brain power in VP.

I’ll rotate the first one, too. I definitely do non-televised tweaks here and there.

bord
                      @bord

Behold the all thrilling placement of the posts! Lots of timelapse here to save you pain.

bord
                        @bord

New JP Salas version of Seawitch here: https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=44192

Add that to the Uncle Willy, HF, 32assassin version and we’ve got an awful lot of Seawitch around! Very cool.

BorgDog
                        Participant
                          @borgdog
                          MemberContributorvip

New JP Salas version of Seawitch here: https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=44192

Add that to the Uncle Willy, HF, 32assassin version and we’ve got an awful lot of Seawitch around! Very cool.

meh, I’ll wait for yours.  :yes:

robertms
                          Participant
                            @mophead

Pfff… amateurs! B-)

Thalamus
                              @thalamus
                              ContributorMemberModerator

Yet to see a JP release that doesn’t play well. And since I don’t collect pup-packs, round wheels or god forbid FP, I have plenty of room to keep a couple of Seawitches ;) Would be far from the only machine where I’ve kept a couple or even three version of. Terminator 2 pr. example. One is ranked in the frontend, higher than the others, so depending on filter settings they might not show up when scrolling.

rgarriott
                              Participant
                                @rgarriott

meh, I’ll wait for yours. :yes:

Yep same here.  Me like the Bord tables.  Bord your doing a great job on the videos, I knew it was pretty complicated but you make it look way to easy.  Keep up the great work.

BorgDog
                                Participant
                                  @borgdog
                                  MemberContributorvip

Yet to see a JP release that doesn’t play well. And since I don’t collect pup-packs, round wheels or god forbid FP, I have plenty of room to keep a couple of Seawitches ;) Would be far from the only machine where I’ve kept a couple or even three version of. Terminator 2 pr. example. One is ranked in the frontend, higher than the others, so depending on filter settings they might not show up when scrolling.

Was just joking, not bashing JP. :good:

However, I wouldn’t say any of JP’s don’t play well, but the one real issue I have with his tables is that he uses wall objects for his rubber physics.  Wall objects have no elasticity falloff so balls tend to get kind of crazy especially on older tables where there is a lot of rubber, like Seawitch.  See that rambling thread on vpf about rubber physics for more talk about that particular topic (I’m only vaguely following it).

bord
                                    @bord

I’ve done a few games that JPS has also done (and will do more, I’m sure) and it is fun to see how different people work. He and I are pretty near polar opposites regarding how we use our tools. That guy makes the most out of what VPX can do natively and I do everything I can to circumvent VP visually. The whole spectrum of use is cool.

On the topic of rubbers: the nfozzy rubber dampening script is one of my favorite VP developments. The feel of rubbers, especially on lower slope tables like EMs and early SS, is such a great improvement. If I understand correctly it takes the falloff number and adjusts it based on ball velocity.

bord
                                      @bord

Pt. 10 wire guides. This could be done directly with curves but I’m so much more comfortable using a mesh and converting it to a curve once it is bent properly.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                      Tom
                                      Participant
                                        @armyaviation
                                        MemberContributor

@Bord, I am amazed at your skill level with Blender, you make it look so easy.  These videos really make me appreciate your table that much more.  Great job and thanks

BorgDog
                                        Participant
                                          @borgdog
                                          MemberContributorvip

yeah, I’m going to have to figure out that wire guide one, that’s way easier than whatever mess I do to make them.

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

@bord I think i will go hide under a rock as i will never have such skills. WOW!!!

Love the videos and hate them at the same time :)

Waiting for next one to try and learn from so keep them coming sir.

********************************************************
                                            Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                            for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 171 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?